First pair of shoes OFFICIALLY over 1000 miles (Read 322 times)

running metalhead

So, I got my first pair of shoes passing the mark of 1000 miles (right now 1.629km, thus 1000 miles and a few yards), The honour goes to one of my pairs of New Balance MT10.

I have a few hard contenders as almost all my shoes are over 1000km, I have a pair of K-Swiss that are very close, I just stopped using them for some time as I favour the MT10 for trails.

Who said that shoes have to be changed every 500 miles? Nike, of course, and if it were for them we would be spending a hundred bucks every week.

In any case I don't think that this pair will last much longer as there isn't much sole left. And I don't think it's feasible to repair the soles.

We will have to wait until they find a way to 3D print them Wink

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
    - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
    - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
    - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
    - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
    - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

Walk-Jogger

Congrats! I just had my first pair (Mizuno Ronin 4)  go over 1000 miles last month, but they have only ever been used on an indoor rubberized track. Same shoe outdoors for me lasts 450 miles tops.

Retired &  Loving It

GinnyinPA

I wish.  I've got a pair of shoes that have only 300 miles and they are already hurting my feet.  Switching them to short runs on the TM.

Feeling the growl again

I ran a single pair of Brooks to 1000 miles.  My lower legs paid for it for weeks.

After perhaps 40,000 miles of trial and error, the most economical solution I arrived at was 500 miles as a primary shoe, then run them to 700 miles by using only for runs of 8 miles or less the last couple hundred miles.  So typically I have two shoes in rotation, a primary shoe and an "almost done" shoe.

EVA permanently compresses.  The support and shape of the sole is gone long before the upper or, typically, the hard sole plate wearing through.

This is for outdoor shoes.  I still run treadmill shoes to 1000 miles.  A 1000 mile treadmill shoe is in much better shape than a 700 mile outdoor shoe.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Still kicking

I went 1200 miles on my first pair of Hoka Stinson Tarmacs. My Hoka Mafates and second pair of Tarmacs are well on their way. I'm planning to use shoe-goo on them to make them go even longer. I retired my first pair because the tread wore out under my supinating toes, forcing my toes outward, and blowing out the side of the upper.

I'm also on Athlinks and Strava

spinach

I have a couple pairs of New Balance Minimus shoes that have a thousand miles on them. MR-10 and 730s.  The 730 were recently retired and replaced by another pair and the MR-10s are about to be retired.  I really like both pairs, the nice thing bout the minimal shoes is that they don't have much support or padding to wear out.  The tread on the heels of the 730s wore down and is the reason they had to be retired a hundred miles or so sooner than the MR-10s.

Latent Runner

I'm a dirt trail runner so my experience is probably irrelevant.  That said, it is rare that I don't get 1,000 miles from a pair of shoes, and I have one pair (an old pair of Asics Trail 4s) with over 2,000 miles on them.  Now that Spring has sprung my favorite trails are at their softest levels of the year (too soft in some cases), and I look like I'm wearing an entire mud puddle when I finish a workout, but my legs are happy (tired but happy).

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
                • 2-mile: 13:49
                • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
                • 5-Mile: 37:24
                • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
                • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
                • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
                BeeRunB

2000+ on one set of Kinvaras, and 1000+ on the other. They still look good.

Is this thread heresy?

Will the established church of the running shoe break through our doors and point their purified fingers at us and go "you have broken running shoe company law! Non-believers! Non-believers!"

If they do, we will moon them and say "discontinue this, bitches."

Latent Runner

^ This; along with a good hearty laugh.  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
                    • 2-mile: 13:49
                    • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
                    • 5-Mile: 37:24
                    • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
                    • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
                    • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

some call me Tim

Wow, over 2k on Kinvaras! Mine didn't even make it to 350 and the outsole was gone and the upper was blowing out. otoh, I have a pair of Brooks in rotation now that took 300 miles to become comfortable. I hated them for the longest time, but now they're great.

BeeRunB

Wow, over 2k on Kinvaras!

It's my anti-gravitational thinking. As you think, as you shall become. And your shoes will have less wear and tear. Though I think it's affected my ability to maintain a straight line. Cutting tangents have become an impossibility. 

Back in the day, I ran several pairs of Nike Columbias (their second AirSole, after the Tailwind) over 1200mi.  I think 14nn miles was my worst offender.  (Training logs were lost in a house fire.  Wink

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

I retired a pair of Brooks Addiction shoes last summer at 3053 miles.  The cushion was still good, but the sole had worn through to the cushion in the forefoot area.  And the uppers were starting to disintegrate.

My current "old" pair of winter running shoes has 2770 miles on them.  The cushioning is still good.  My "new" pair of winter running shoes has 1660 miles on them.  The cushioning is still good.  My "old" pair of summer running shoes has 1060 miles on them.  The cushioning is still good.

I don't know why the cushioning in my shoes lasts so long.  Is it because I put the shoes on a shoe dryer after every use?

hectortrojan

I often hear people talking about changing the shoes every 300-500 miles. This itself is a huge range - but that is the different topic.

I have a pair of Saucony Triumph with 450 miles on them and they still look good. And I am thinking whats wrong with me that in spite of using shoes for 300-500 miles, they still look good!? Reading this thread makes sense!

Cool Jump Suit

Had a pair of Mizuno's I really loved a couple of years ago that made it over 1,600 miles.  They had been toast for a while, but I kept wearing them cause I liked them so much.  Never had another shoe come close.....yet.

So bittersweet,
                                This tragedy
                                Won't ask for absolution;
                                This melody,
                                Inside of me,
                                Still searches for solution.
                                A twist of faith,
                                A change of heart
                                Cures my infatuation.
                                A broken heart, 
                                Provides the spark
                                For my determination.