Race Bandits (Read 1312 times)

heather85

....(especially little kids)... Does everyone treat these thieves the same way ...

Stone the little b@stards!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Right on, Heather!

This whole thing got me thinking...what if I pay my $20 race fee, then not run it, but just stand at the snack table gorging on donuts while the others are uselessly working up a sweat?

dennrunner

Right on, Heather!

This whole thing got me thinking...what if I pay my $20 race fee, then not run it, but just stand at the snack table gorging on donuts while the others are uselessly working up a sweat?

I only wish the tables in the races I've done the last 10 years or so had donuts. They have had bagels, or "bagels" ...neither of which I care for after a race.

Oh, and what about all the races you've paid your money for but didn't end up going to?  Does that give you the right to "steal" by banditing another race?

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I only wish the tables in the races I've done the last 10 years or so had donuts. They have had bagels, or "bagels" ...neither of which I care for after a race.

Oh, and what about all the races you've paid your money for but didn't end up going to?  Does that give you the right to "steal" by banditing another race?

A sort of "share the wealth" scheme?  Communist!

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Stone the little b@stards!

Yes!  No stealing the donuts.  

steph  

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Thank you. Spent $96 on a 50K I did not go to last week. $55 for a 50 miler I am not going to in December.No refunds even if the race is cancelled for weather.

I am volunteering at the start of a marathon Sunday. If I run the course is it stealing?

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

A Saucy Wench

Thank you. Spent $96 on a 50K I did not go to last week. $55 for a 50 miler I am not going to in December.No refunds even if the race is cancelled for weather.

I am volunteering at the start of a marathon Sunday. If I run the course is it stealing?

Well yah.  I paid for tomato plants this spring but neglected to take care of them so I didnt get any tomatoes from them.  If I go to my neighbors plant, its stealing.  Just cause I paid for tomatoes doesnt give me the right to get them from anywhere.

Truth is, I dont have a problem with an occasional bandit.  I have a problem with people who make a habit of it.  In some races (Boston) banditing is a time honored tradition.  In others it will get you BANNED FOR LIFE.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Right on, Heather!

Then you're in the 47% not the 53%! Heathen!

Wait. Wrong thread.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

xor

>> In others it will get you BANNED FOR LIFE.

Fiddlesticks.  At Portland, asking the RD a seemingly simple question that he does not like (such as "can I change corrals if my pace group is in a different one?") may also get you BANNED FOR LIFE.

Or at the very least, an email with cool phrases like "Don't test me!"

bhearn

and asking whether we can have an energy drink instead of Ultima can get an email with legal threats.

I'm not sure if this relates to most of the thread so far, but...a few years ago I signed up for a race online and paid the entry fee.  I had one of my friends pick up my number when he got his the day before the race to bring to the start for me because I was busy.  He ended up getting wasted the night before the race, lost his phone and never made it to the race.  So I ran the race without my number.  Was I a bandit because I wasn't wearing my number and chip or was it legit to run the race because I paid for it?

It was a 5k so there really isn't any reason to use the water stop even if they do provide one but I did sneak into the corral, run on a closed course and drink the "free" (included in race fee) beer at the end.

A Saucy Wench

heck he sent out an email to everyone registered for the marathon that if they mid race decided to bail and followed any part of the HM course back to the start they would be BANNED FOR LIFE

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I hear the RD for the Flying Monkey Marathon, if you actually finish the thing, he will also make sure you are BANNED FOR LIFE.  Jerk.  He prolly serves Ultima too.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

No refunds even if the race is cancelled for weather.

Many costs are sunk well before the gun fires on race morning, and the RD cannot recoup the costs when weather strikes.  The shirts, permits, liability, portapotties, medals, food and drink, etc, all of those things don't disappear and get refunded back to the race.  I feel your pain, but that is part of the risk of race registration.

Anyone know of a good race in portland?