NYC Marathon 2012 (Read 2541 times)

Volunteers were still setting up tents and the finish line for the marathon in Central Park when I stopped by at noon.  Can't imagine this whole situation being handled worse.

I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

Future Goals: 5:30 mile • 19:30 5k • 33:30 8k • 42:00 10k • 1:15:00 10-mile • 1:40:00 half-marathon • 1000 miles

Feeling the growl again

People need to just chill.

+1.  Anything else just makes it worse.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Tokyo has put it's hat in the ring to become a WMM. NYC just had a huge fail. The women's title was to be decided on Sunday. So here's a question; Is NYC going to be replaced as a World Majors?

In other news, Wittenburg probably just lost $100k in yearly bonus and the NYRR lost bonus money for hosting a deciding race this time around.

in other news, the New York/New Jersey area just had probably the worst natural disaster they've ever had.  

Feeling the growl again

in other news, the New York/New Jersey area just had probably the worst natural disaster they've ever had.  

I hadn't expressed it, but actually I was becoming very irritated with the volume of press the marathon was getting versus everything else going on there.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I will be surprised if they manage to redirect those resources.

+1

Orion Goals: 5k 18:30 10K 38:00 Marathon 3:10

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/02/nfl-may-regret-going-forward-with-steelers-giants-on-sunday/

The media can quit harping on our sport and rag on the NFL for a while.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Congratulations, NYRR, I think you just managed to agitate the maximum number of people under any possible scenario.

I think everyone, including Bloomberg, believe that the Wednesday decision to go on was a mistake.  But considering it's Friday, and we haven't invented a time-machine, are you saying that he should not have cancelled the race on Friday?  That it would have been better to just see the original bad decision through?

We can at least agree that cancelling Saturday or Sunday would have been more maximum. Wink

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Feeling the growl again

I think everyone, including Bloomberg, believe that the Wednesday decision to go on was a mistake.  But considering it's Friday, and we haven't invented a time-machine, are you saying that he should not have cancelled the race on Friday?  That it would have been better to just see the original bad decision through?

We can at least agree that cancelling Saturday or Sunday would have been more maximum. Wink

We can never know the exact result of something that didn't happen, but it's pretty clear that they had already p'd off a lot of people continuing on as long as they did.  Do we know it would have made a significant difference whether they carried on at that point or not?  By allowing people to travel in there and THEN reverse and cancel, it seems like they created the worst of both options.  Canceling on Friday did not correct the original bad decision.

They were far into "darned if you do, darned if you don't" land by Friday.   Smile

MTA:  To clarify, I'm not saying they should not have canceled, more like they backed themselves into doing it in about the worst possible manner for everyone.

But in fairness to Mayor Bloomberg and others, they have a lot on their minds besides the marathon this week.

Runners run

jfa

Yep. It took a while (for whatever reason) but they got it right.

I'm all for postponing the Giants game too, although it is a very different scenario.

Yeah different scenario entirely when there's a permanent physical structure, complete with indoor plumbing and the works, designed to accommodate 70,000 stationary people, none of whom needed to travel very far to get there nor will be doing anything all that strenuous.

Some Giants season ticket holders I know are looking forward to going to the game where there will be electricity since they haven't had it all week.

Runners run

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I can't even get the page to load...looks like their servers are already very busy.

The page loaded for me, but was nothing but a photo -- not even a date for the race. So I closed it.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.