RMHM question (Read 48 times)

Wing

Joggaholic

http://www.therockymountainhalf.com/

I am contemplating running this HM. I have only run local races before, the farthest travel I'd done for races was a 30 minutes drive, this one I will have to reserve flights and car and lodging... etc, so I want to find out if

1) Is this worth traveling for? It seems to have good reviews and the pictures are pretty (I have not run many races, so I'm clueless). Seems like a good place for a long weekend scenic vacation spot for the family before/after the race.

2) Does this one sell out quickly? Do I need to make up my mind now?

3) How difficult is this? 7000ft sounds like a scary number, I live close to sea level, I have no idea what high altitude means (how much slower should I expect?).

Thanks!

Latent Runner

While I cannot speak to the race itself, I can comment about training at sea level and then racing at altitude.

Back when I was triathloning (early 1990s), I lived in Chicago ~600' MSL, and competed in the Mammoth Lakes Triathlon where one of the lowest points was the swim in Crowley Lake (surface elevation 6,781' MSL); the best piece of advice I can offer is to get there at least a couple of days early (a week or two would be better but probably not happening) and put in some good miles to get used to the thin air.

Relative to times, if my performance was any indication (I was typically finishing an Olympic distance course in under 2:20 that summer, and the Mammoth Lakes race took over 2:50), you should add at least 15% to your typical finishing time to figure out what you may be able to do in this particular race.

Keep us posted on your progress and how you make out.  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
      • 2-mile: 13:49
      • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
      • 5-Mile: 37:24
      • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
      • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
      • Half Marathon: 1:42:13