lydiard difference in sprint training and fast striding??? (Read 859 times)

dallasboycows

Everything i see on lydiard sprint training says 10x100 meters.  everything i see of his on strides, striders, etc. says 10x100 meters.  So, what exactly is the difference

Monday: Sprint training.

Tuesday: Repetitions

Wednesday: Easy fartlek 1/2 to 1 hour (jogging and striding or sprint training).

Thursday: Repetitions.

Friday: Relaxed striding (fast and easy).

Saturday: Repetitions.

Sunday: Aerobic running 1 to 2 hours.

Scout7

Any mention of effort or pace?

dallasboycows

no not that i can find. 

I did find one site that showed the sprints as 100m x 10 and the strides as 300 meters x4

they all just say what i posted

http://www.fitnesssports.com/lyd_clinic_guide/Arthur_Lydiard.htm

http://www.fitnesssports.com/lyd_clinic_guide/lydpg20.html

Try Nobby.  Though in one of his recent posts he said he'd be away from the site for a few days. 

dallasboycows

is nobby on this site Nobby Hashizume??  I've seen him on but had no idea it was THE NOBBY?

Yep! Same person!! Small world, eh?

Edited:  I guess his ears were ringing! 

is nobby on this site Nobby Hashizume??  I've seen him on but had no idea it was THE NOBBY?

E-hem...  Yes, it is THE Nobby (is there any other Nobby?). ;o)  Actually, there are lots of Nobbys.  One famous one is a Irish (or was he Scottish...?) boxing trainer by the name of Nobby Welsh.  

First of all, I don't think ALL the Lydiard sprinting training says 10 X 100m.  I may be wrong with this but I think he would refer "sprint training" as "sprint training".  It is because sprint training is what sprinters do.  I don't think sprinters just do 10 X 100m.  Now, IF it does say 10 X 100m all over the place, I'd have to thank you because we would need to correct it.  Well, not really (which part?)...  I mean, it CAN be 10 X 100m; but it doesn't have to be.  And, then again, same with Strides.  It doesn't have to be 10 X 100m and, in fact, our new Running Wizard (formerly known as Master Run Coach) beginner's training plan has Strides but it could be as little as 3 X 20m.  

Sprint Training is just as the name suggest; you sprints, or work on your sprints.  What Lydiard had meant actually also includes some drills, such as high knees or skipping or Zombie (what U of O former coach Dellinger used to call) or butt-kicking or stuff like that.  These are ALL "sprint" training AS WELL AS some fast running such as 10 X 100m.  I would actually suggests more like 3~5 X 70m simply because you don't want to tire yourself too much; just enough to teach your body to run fast.  Here's the thing; you want to RUN FAST (=sprint).

On the other hand, Strides is a bit different.  You want to teach your body to run FAST and RELAXED.  In other words, it's fast in a sense that it's fastER than your normal running pace but you don't want to run THAT fast that you may start to struggle.  Then you won't be relaxed.  Strides is to teach your body to run FAST AND RELAXED.  I usually tell people to think about the start of a 5k race.  Fast, but not that fast--certainly not a "sprinting" speed.  

I know some "terms" Lydiard used can be a bit confusing--he was not a terminologist.  He really didn't care what he called some of the workouts and some people don't like that side of Lydiard at all.  But those are a theorist.  I remember talking to Dick Quax one time about what some of the workout is called.  He just got frustrated and just said; "I don't give a damn what it's called as long as I know what we're doing!"  So true.  But, yes, Lydaird wasn't very good at conveying his terms.  More of a reason why you really shouldn't completely rely on the schedule or terminologies.  Think of what you need and how to achieve it best.

I'd assume what you had posted here is a training schedule for 5k or 1500m???  If he had said you should do "sprint" training during Anaerobic Phase (where you'd do twice or three times a week Repetitions), it shouldn't be a marathon schedule.  Oh, and another thing; when he came to Japan in 1991, one of the coaches showed him why there's no Hill Training Phase in one of his books for one of the training schedules.  He said there's no way he would have removed a Hill Training Phase and, when this guy showed him, lo and behold, that there was in fact a Hill Training Phase missing, he got so irritated and started to say that it was a printing issue and that's why he hated working with printers because they make mistakes (I don't know who did the proof reading...).  I can show you a literature that goes, "Zatopek's amazing training went as far as doing 10 X 400m interval training a day!!..."  Of course, it was supposed to say "100 X 400m" and it was clearly a typo.

no not that i can find. 

I did find one site that showed the sprints as 100m x 10 and the strides as 300 meters x4

they all just say what i posted

http://www.fitnesssports.com/lyd_clinic_guide/Arthur_Lydiard.htm

http://www.fitnesssports.com/lyd_clinic_guide/lydpg20.html

On the very site you had referred to, this is what it says about "Sprint Training".  This is usually termed "Sprint Training", not just simply 10 X 100m:

On alternate days, it is wise to concentrate upon developong your speed to near it's maximum by carrying out sprint training workouts of suppling and loosening exercises, sprint starts and sprint races, and leg speed running.

A typical workout could be: Warm-up by running easily for about 15 minutes, doing exercises for 10 to 15 minutes, running easily for 5 more minutes. Follow by runs over 70 to 100 meters, concentrating upon the following elements; with a jog between each run of 3 minutes:

(A) The runs to develop stride length by exaggerating the length of the strides and pushing off hard with the back leg.

(B) another by running tall, bring your knees high and getting up high on your toes.

(C) and another by moving the legs as fast as possible to develop a quick leg turn-over.

Then the last set of runs covering all o these things These runs can be done two or three times with each exercise. Also some sprint starts can be used and a sprint race or two competed in for training. Any for of American sprint training is usually good as long as it covers theses points that I have made.

dallasboycows

Well I'm not doing marathon but am doing 10 mile races and 10ks.  So this schedule won't be appropriate?  what should I be doing the last 6-8 weeks of training?