Marine Corps Marathon (Read 186 times)

Youredoingwhat

I know registration opens online March 27 but does anyone know what time?  I fills up fast so I wanted a decent chance by trying early to get in.

Anonymous Guest

Noon. Eastern time.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Youredoingwhat

Thanks

MrH

active.com is getting crushed by people trying to register.

Here is their "helpful" error message:

It's an exciting day today. We have a sell-out event in progress!

If you're seeing this message it means that lots of people are trying to sign up just like you.

We expect that the event will sell-out within an hour. Please be patient, and we'll get you in the door as quickly as possible.

Your browser will re-try within 8 seconds.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

RunnerJones

Will Run for Donuts!

active.com is getting crushed by people trying to register.

Yup, and it's been a disaster.  Been waiting for over an hour, and it's been a series of crashes.

Bucky.01

Sold out. With all of the problems they have, I wonder when they will eventually change to having a lottery system.

Chris T

Active.com is a hot mess. Thankfully I was able to complete registration after multiple aborted attempts.

Marine Corps Marathon Fills Field in 2:27 Despite Technical Issues

Runners report reg site freezes, gives error messages.

By

Scott Douglas

March 27, 2013

The Marine Corps Marathon filled its field for this year's race in two hours and 27 minutes, the fastest a major marathon has ever sold out, but not without severe technical issues and runner disgruntlement.

Runners attempting to sign up experienced technical difficulties as soon as registration opened at noon Eastern on Wednesday. The race, scheduled for October 27, has a field of 30,000.

On Facebook and Twitter, runners wrote about being unable to access the registration screen. Others wrote about going through almost all of the registration process, including entering their credit card information, but not receiving a confirmation that their registration was accepted.

"I got all the way to check-out, and then it kicked me off- 3 times!!!" Erin Lewis wrote on the race's Facebook page. "I've already planned a family vacation around this and bought tickets. I logged in at 12:01 and you can't handle the traffic in the first MINUTE?"

The race urged patience via its social media messaging.

"Keep refreshing MCM website. Working hard to accommodate substantial flow of traffic," the race tweeted about 25 minutes into registration. After registration had been open for 48 minutes, the race tweeted, "All entries are being processed as runners are completing registration forms. Keep trying until sell out is declared." Almost two hours into registration, the race tweeted, "Runners, your patience is appreciated. Registration continues to flow."

Runners attempting to register saw a variety of error messages. One read, "It's an exciting day today. We have a sell-out event in progress! If you're seeing this message it means that lots of people are trying to sign up just like you. We expect that the event will sell-out within an hour. Please be patient, and we'll get you in the door as quickly as possible."

Some runners reported refreshing their browser frequently and being glad they did so. "[Y]es patience. and persistence. Got in just now after 2 hr 8 minutes!" Laura Sibley wrote on the race's Facebook page. Other runners got the message below when they got to the registration page.

The marathon's registration provider, Active.com, came under criticism last month when registration for the Chicago Marathon was suspended three hours after opening on February 19 because of technical issues. Chicago wound up using a lottery to allocate the approximately 15,000 spots that weren't filled on February 19.

Marine Corps race director Rick Nealis told the Washington Times he expected a smoother process for his race.

“To best support the high demand and heavy volume of online traffic, the MCM has been working with the online registration service to test system capacity to avoid delays and server issues,” Nealis said. “We expect runners will have immediate success on registration day.”

Last year, open registration for the race sold out in two hours and 41 minutes.

http://www.runnersworld.com/races/marine-corps-marathon-fills-field-227-despite-technical-issues

catwhoorg

Labrat

They really need to go to a lottery system.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

RunnerJones

Will Run for Donuts!

They really need to go to a lottery system.

I'd like to see more big marathons use a qualifying system, like Boston.

Did you get registered?  I gave up after an hour of trying.  I hate Active.com.

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

Imminent Catastrophe

A lot of people wouldn't like that.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Sure, people are frustrated...but their races sells out in less than three hours.  As long as they keeps happening, from a business standpoint, they don't *really* have a reason to change anything.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                          Emil Zatopek

RunnerJones

Will Run for Donuts!

Did you get registered?  I gave up after an hour of trying.  I hate Active.com.

I did not.  Tried, but got numerous crashes, etc.  I began the registration process several times, but each time I got some sort of server error in the middle of it.

RunnerJones

Will Run for Donuts!

A lot of people wouldn't like that.

You can't please everyone.

Chris T

This is the age of technology. The demand was anticipated. The failure in execution by the vendor (active.com) should lead to exactly that, their execution.

Their incompetence gives their client a black eye. On top of a similar result for Chicago.

Fool me once...