Aspirin (Read 149 times)

Walk-Jogger

I just noticed that the expiration date on the small bottle (100 tablets) of aspirin that keep in my office desk drawer expired in August. Of 2002 . . . Apparently I don't take aspirin very often.  I took one anyway, since I discovered last week that aspirin  (from the large bottle I have at home, of unknown expiration date, but it also isn't very new . . .)  almost completely kills the chronic peroneal (fibular) nerve pain below my right knee that I've had since my marathon last July. It tasted slightly different than typical, but I haven't keeled over from it yet, so it must not have have morphed into anything too toxic. 

No real question here. Anyone have a horror story about expired meds or any comment on this? 

Retired &  Loving It

Feeling the growl again

Click.

Some medications have stability issues; most don't.  I'd be a heck of a lot more concerned about loss of potency than toxicity...and concern about loss of potency would be proportional to the importance of the drug.

In other words, there is little concern about trying out some expired aspirin.  You may want to think a bit more about keeping your heart meds up to date.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Mysecondnewname

Cecil:

Here is another take on this issue:  http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/08/health/throwing-away-expired-meds/index.html

From the article: "Two of the tested ingredients, aspirin and amphetamine, consistently fell below the 90% threshold, as did one sample of the painkiller phenacetin."

IMHO, aspirin is so cheap, and the health benefits of low dose aspirin are often so great (depending on who you are), that buying some new aspirin might make sense.

A Saucy Wench

Cecil:

Here is another take on this issue:  http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/08/health/throwing-away-expired-meds/index.html

From the article: "Two of the tested ingredients, aspirin and amphetamine, consistently fell below the 90% threshold, as did one sample of the painkiller phenacetin."

IMHO, aspirin is so cheap, and the health benefits of low dose aspirin are often so great (depending on who you are), that buying some new aspirin might make sense.

Yeah but that was 28-40 YEARS expired.   It doesnt surprise me that aspirin would break down more than most, the vinegar smell is stronger in old aspirin.

I'm with spaniel, if you are taking a critical medication, stay on top of it.   Otherwise...meh.   I still have 10 of the original sudafeds.  The good stuff.  The stuff that worked.   The pre meth.  Being in a prescription only state, no way am I throwing those suckers out.  I think they expired in 2004.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Feeling the growl again

Cecil:

So the minimal expiration duration in this study was 28 YEARS, and we're talking about a 90% threshold??

Do you really think you could tell the difference between 100% effective aspirin, and 85-90% effective aspirin, given the wide therapeutic window with this agent?

Seriously, we're talking about an expiration of a few years here.  The case you state is about as extreme as they come.  Frankly, given the time window (28-44 years) referenced, I'm surprised that the results are so good.  Being as familiar as I am with formulation of drugs, expecting 3 decades of full potency from any drug is obscene.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Walk-Jogger

Thanks for the interesting links and the discussion on this. I checked my bottle of aspirin at home and the expiration date on it is actually unreadable due to the ink fading and falling off the bottle. So it is possibly even older. I'll get a couple of new bottles next time I go shopping.

Retired &  Loving It

Biking Bad

finnegan begin again

TLDR version-Except for toxicity associated with degraded tetracycline (Fanconi's syndrome), no serious adverse reactions have been linked to medication used after its expiration date (BTP 1996;19:37). The biggest concern with outdated medicines is lack of potency.

Full link

"... the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value..."  Thomas Paine Dec 23, 1776 The Crisis 

Adversity is the first path to truth. Lord Byron

"No one plans to fail…..they fail to plan" Skinny Pete

kcam

Agree with Spaniels take on the subject.

Here's the medications I have in my desk drawer at work:

Benadryl - expired 12/10, almost empty

Visine AC  - expired  8/05, almost empty  (no I don't have a bong at work - it was for allergies!)

Aspirin - expired 10/13, bottle is about full

So everything I have is expired.  I take that as a good sign!

Mysecondnewname

So the minimal expiration duration in this study was 28 YEARS, and we're talking about a 90% threshold??

Do you really think you could tell the difference between 100% effective aspirin, and 85-90% effective aspirin, given the wide therapeutic window with this agent?

Seriously, we're talking about an expiration of a few years here.  The case you state is about as extreme as they come.  Frankly, given the time window (28-44 years) referenced, I'm surprised that the results are so good.  Being as familiar as I am with formulation of drugs, expecting 3 decades of full potency from any drug is obscene.

Spaniel and Ennay are correct--I misread the article at the time I posted, and I gave a false impression.  Mea Culpa.

I do agree with the central conclusion of the article, though:  in the drugs they studied, the potency lasts long after the expiration date.

ultramarathon/triathlete

Thanks all

This is great to know.  I tossed some asprin a month or two ago because it expired in '11.  I told my wife I seriously doubted it mattered, but she said why risk it.  I've passed Spaniel's article on to her ;-)

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                      Gatorade Endurance Team

Hill Slug

I throw aspirin out when it starts smelling like vinegar.

All time PR:  1:20 HM. 2:49 M

2013 goal:  Master's PR HM  Recover from illness/finish the year strong

Rage, rage against the dying of the light