So, is it cheap to consider mowing the lawn "cross training"? (Read 2010 times)

If you think it's affecting your running, feel free to log it. Especially if you're one to go back and look at your training after a significant event, which to me is the whole point of the log.

What I suggest you avoid is entering it as running. Enter it as another activity, I do that with weight-loaded walking (professional hazard)

I think this is how I will approach it. Also spent the better part of a day on Monday digging in my yard to make it flat for a swimming pool. This kind of thing definitely affects my runs, as I was almost too sore to do anything the next day!

Would not intend to enter it as a run, as I agree that would be silly.

Step by step Mile by mile Day by day
    DoppleBock

Welcome

Your log is your log.  Do with it as you would like.

I personally do not log walking or mowing in my RA log, but I do count it toward calories burned in trying to balance the calorie consumption / burning daily equation.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Purdey

Self anointed title

It's important to remember that there are no prizes for having a really impressive running log.  

Where I live there are prizes for having a really impressive lawn.

Hoodoo Guru

Yes you can consider mowing "cross training."  However you must log the distance as "one yard."

(Stolen from another forum.)

The tangents are moot.

What exactly constitutes log stalking?  I like to look at people's logs - they usually impress me and encourage me to try harder!  I also enjoy reading people's comments on their runs.  Maybe I'm a log stalker and didn't realize it!

Log stalking isn't a big deal - it's not a negative thing at all.  If somebody doesn't want others looking at their training log, they have the option to make it private.  It's just the humorous name that we've come up with as a community for the practice of browsing other people's training logs for inspiration/motivation/sources of comedy. Smile

And, as mentioned above, most of the ridicule happens in the swamp (aka the 2000 mile group) just because that's the type of atmosphere that that group has.  

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

an amazing likeness

Wait...are we talking about mowing the lawn, or "mowing the lawn"?  'Cause one burns a lot more calories than the other, and the other just burns more.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

ymmv

It's easy to add Mowing as an activity on runningahead, and the correct default distance unit for this activity is 'Yard'
                henryc

I'd consider it cheap.  Maybe, since I have my wife mow the lawn.

A Saucy Wench

Wait...are we talking about mowing the lawn, or "mowing the lawn"?  'Cause one burns a lot more calories than the other, and the other just burns more.

You can log both there milktruck, but then I would say ridicule is guaranteed.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

It's easy to add Mowing as an activity on runningahead, and the correct default distance unit for this activity is 'Yard'

Man, I'm so tired. I'm sure I mowed a couple hundred yards. What? I only mowed one yard? Are you sure? Are you crazy?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Outside Lane

C'mon - who's got the GPS map of their mowing workout?

See how they run...

ymmv

C'mon - who's got the GPS map of their mowing workout?

I have no GPS map for mowing, but I do have this Corn Maze workout from last fall:

http://www.runningahead.com/logs/8d3e7f3d441c43bda9540bb149d88cc5/workouts/a2ad8ffcd24545f1a9e0ddc59f803c6e/map

A Saucy Wench

Well that doesnt look like a very tough cornmaze.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

ymmv

Well that doesnt look like a very tough cornmaze.

They are easier after a Mowing workout.

beat

Break on through

Summer of Lawn Mow

Call up all of your running friends and commit to meet twice
                                a week to mow some lawns.  Meet for Chinese food or lamb gyros
                                afterwards.  Make it a social event.  Start now. Also start
                                mowing lawns on your own twice a day now.

Meet once a week for a full tempo mow of four to six acres. 
                                The other workout is six to ten times two yard lengths with full recovery
                                in the frog pond.

"Not to touch the Earth, not to see the Sun, nothing left to do but run, run, run..."