Hmmm...so how does one know if a shoe is not stable enough? (Read 691 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I had been contemplating trying to wear my NB 902s (low stability, lightweight trainer) for my upcoming HM, but I'm starting to think I should maybe ditch the idea. The furthest I have run in them is just shy of 6 miles. I love that they are so lightweight and flexible (they feel really great on...I keep thinking they are almost like moccasins), but I almost feel "wobbly" in them--like I am not running so much forward, but with each step I feel a bit that my body is moving forward at a bit of an angle--and my outer hips feel a little sore (almost like they are doing too much work). I also feel that the cushion is maybe not quite firm enough--maybe if I were 10-20#s lighter the cushion would be great, but right now it almost feels a bit too soft and spongey under my plodding. I wonder if by the last few miles in a HM if my feet will be screaming. Thoughts? BTDTs?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

You just need to experiment and see. If you can do some long runs in them and still feel fine afterward, then go for it. There are no hard and fast rules about how much shoe is needed for a given distance. The more efficient your form, and the stronger your feet and lower legs, the less support and/or cushion you'll need. Personally, I'm slowly working toward needing less and less shoe. I love the idea of not being dependent on them. And it's definitely working.
      Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

There are no hard and fast rules about how much shoe is needed for a given distance. The more efficient your form, and the stronger your feet and lower legs, the less support and/or cushion you'll need.
        I'm definitely getting better with this...6 months ago I was wearing a high stability shoe, now I'm doing the bulk of my miles in a shoe for mild-moderate pronation control. I'm thinking the light stability shoe might be just a hair too little cushion and control at this stage in the game. Definitely something to work on next Spring, though. This Winter I plan to wear a trainer designed for wear in ice and snow and I KNOW running in those conditions will make my legs strong. It sure did last Winter. k

~ Sarah Kay

Another Passion

"Hmmm...so how does one know if a shoe is not stable enough? " If they quit taking their meds?? Is that the correct answer? Big grin

Rick
          "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
          "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
          runningforcassy.blogspot.com

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

"Hmmm...so how does one know if a shoe is not stable enough? " If they quit taking their meds?? Is that the correct answer? Big grin
            Hmmm...I'll have to ask my shoes next time I wear them. If they've stopped, then perhaps I will go out in a different pair. Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

Zoomy - Remember the rule of "nothing new on race day?" *ahem* I think you're trying to break it. While I can't tell you what kind of shoe you need to be wearing, if the mild-moderate are working for you now and you feel "wobbly" and your hips hurt when you run in the low stability, why oh why would you even consider trying to run a HM in them without giving your body and adjustment period and seeing how things go? I only say this because I don't want to see you get hurt. Tongue Janell

Roads were made for journeys...

Zoomy - Remember the rule of "nothing new on race day?" *ahem* I think you're trying to break it. While I can't tell you what kind of shoe you need to be wearing, if the mild-moderate are working for you now and you feel "wobbly" and your hips hurt when you run in the low stability, why oh why would you even consider trying to run a HM in them without giving your body and adjustment period and seeing how things go? I only say this because I don't want to see you get hurt. Tongue Janell
                ditto Smile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                Thyroid Support Group

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, I'm pretty certain I won't be trying them for this upcoming HM...I would have wanted to wear them for that distance training run, first (I'm not one for taking crazy risks with this running thing). And after my last run in them, which wasn't even half the distance, I'm thinking my feet and legs just aren't ready for that, yet. But I am thinking that maybe by next Spring I can start doing increasingly long runs and races in them. Right now I would definitely consider up to a 10k in them, if I had a 5 or 10k in the works. The more I run in them, I really think the more I will be able to get away from a more stable shoe. Probably nothing as minimal as a Nike Free, though... Wink k

~ Sarah Kay