favorite running-ish books (Read 352 times)

carlos49er

Born to Run.

After reading what humans are capable of, I took up running. Persistive Hunting is an awesome technique to know if society collapses.

williamsjm

All great recommendations, Love "Born to Run" - here's a couple more of my favorites.

Running the Edge by Adam Goucher and Tim Catalano - part self-help part running.   Loved this book.

What I Talk  About When I Talk about Running - A book about writing and book about running.  Very inspirational and motivational.

-joe

Running After Antelope by Scott Carrier. Most of the good running bits are in this episode of This American Life:

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/80/running-after-antelope

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner

currently reading the looniness of the long distance runner by rusell taylor. an unfit londoners attempt to run the new york marathom. ve entertaining.

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

I need to read ALL of these!  Definitely revisiting this topic.  I don't think I have further suggestions, though I loved Once a Runner (classic).

I also liked Alberto Salazar's autobiography/memoir, 14 Minutes.  A little self-aggrandizing or... something? but good.

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

some call me Tim

+1 on 'The Perfect Mile' with its strikingly deep and disparate portrayal of its 3 main characters. It weaves their stories together with the history of running training philosophy up to that point... such a marvelously written book.

SheCan

I loved Born to Run.  It's far more then just about barefoot running.  I'm certainly not ready to give up my shoes, though I do walk barefoot more often now.  Its just super inspirational.  Makes you wanna just run forever.

Marathon Man is a wonderful, fast paced novel.  Yeah, its a dated, but I don't mind being transported back to another time.  I grew up when the Nazi's & Communists were always the bad guys in stories.

In The World According to Garp, the main character is a writer and a runner.  Very entertaining, bizarre book, not about running, but about a runner.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

I loved Born to Run.  It's far more then just about barefoot running.  I'm certainly not ready to give up my shoes, though I do walk barefoot more often now.  Its just super inspirational.  Makes you wanna just run forever.

Marathon Man is a wonderful, fast paced novel.  Yeah, its a dated, but I don't mind being transported back to another time.  I grew up when the Nazi's & Communists were always the bad guys in stories.

In The World According to Garp, the main character is a writer and a runner.  Very entertaining, bizarre book, not about running, but about a runner.

I LOVE The World According to Garp!

and The Perfect Mile, yes, definitely worth it for the crazy descriptions of Percy Cerutty alone.

nolamama

CQTM

+1000000 I loved that book!

I just finished Unbroken recently (thanks DJJan for the recommendation) and it was an absolutely amazing story. A MUST read.

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

Duel in the Sun- about more than just the famous Boston Marathon duel of Dick Beardsley and Alberto Salazar, it also is a short biography of each of them.

ditto this one.  Not a long read but a really good one

"Once a Runner" by John L. Parker; the Trial of Miles, miles of trials.......................

Am I the only one who thinks this book is overrated?

I'd rather read books about real runners I guess.   The Perfect Mile and Train Hard, Win Easy come to mind.

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

Am I the only one who thinks this book is overrated?

I'd rather read books about real runners I guess.   The Perfect Mile and Train Hard, Win Easy come to mind.

I know Toby Tanser!  He runs on the treadmill at my gym and sometimes does races with my club.  Really cool guy.  (When I said I was a newer runner and wanted to work on the mile before trying to do longer things he encouraged me Smile ).

I know Toby Tanser!  He runs on the treadmill at my gym and sometimes does races with my club.  Really cool guy.  (When I said I was a newer runner and wanted to work on the mile before trying to do longer things he encouraged me Smile ).

You know him!?  How cool is that? Smile Tell him his book is a timeless classic and inspires me every time I read it.  The Kenyan work ethic is truly amazing.

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt