Boston 2014 (Read 439 times)

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Thanks for that.  Inspirational for us runners in our 60s, not that I'm in his league in any other way.

Yes, thanks!  Also an inspiration for us almost in our 60's 

steph  

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

I was already thinking no bag check and then seeing the bag check "map" with the tiny 1,2,3, and 4s on them which I'm guessing means wave and knowing there are 10,000 runners per wave and knowing how early runners like to show up at stuff...  I'm really thinking no bag check.

Yeah, the new bag check situation threw me a bit. No checking bags in the Athlete's Village. I'm staying with family outside of Boston and will have someone drop me off at the Hopkinton State Park to take a shuttle bus to the start village. It would be ridiculous for them to drive all the way in to Boston so I could take a bus back out to Hopkinton. But that means no bag check option for me.

It looks like the weather will be pretty warm -- predicting 60's in the afternoon, so I think I'll be okay until I can get dry clothes from my husband. But spectators can't be carrying around large bags or backpacks, so I'm planning to pack extra clothes in a clear bag for him to carry for me. That's the plan at the moment.

#artbydmcbride

They say they will give us a warm hooded poncho at the finish, that should be plenty warm

Runners run

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

They say they will give us a warm hooded poncho at the finish, that should be plenty warm

Not to mention fashionable!

Liz

pace sera, sera

I am going to check my bag on the common.

This will be my first time doing the full Boston experience including riding the BAA buses from the common. Previously I have ridden a club bus or have gotten dropped off in Hopkinton. But I hesitated too long and the club bus filled, and with the extra security the simplest thing seems to be just check my bag on the common, ride out to Hopkinton with just the clothes on my back (wear throwaway layers to stay warm), run back to Boston, retrieve my bag, then go to the club suite and take a shower before heading out to meet with real and imaginary friends for beers etc.

I could give my bag to someone to put on the club bus so it's waiting for me at the suite, but that would require more work and would mean I'd be without my wallet and cell phone for probably 24 hours before the race. Sounds like a hassle. It maybe adds .4 miles of walking to go over the the common to get my bag before going to the Park Plaza, which in theory is no big deal (but talk to me after I race 26.2 miles.)

Runners run

Mmmmm...beer

Good luck to everyone!  Big grin

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I am going to check my bag on the common.

This will be my first time doing the full Boston experience including riding the BAA buses from the common. Previously I have ridden a club bus or have gotten dropped off in Hopkinton. But I hesitated too long and the club bus filled, and with the extra security the simplest thing seems to be just check my bag on the common, ride out to Hopkinton with just the clothes on my back (wear throwaway layers to stay warm), run back to Boston, retrieve my bag, then go to the club suite and take a shower before heading out to meet with real and imaginary friends for beers etc.

I could give my bag to someone to put on the club bus so it's waiting for me at the suite, but that would require more work and would mean I'd be without my wallet and cell phone for probably 24 hours before the race. Sounds like a hassle. It maybe adds .4 miles of walking to go over the the common to get my bag before going to the Park Plaza, which in theory is no big deal (but talk to me after I race 26.2 miles.)

I'm checking a bag, but I've been wondering how I'm going to change after the race.  I don't have the advantage of a club suite.  Wet wipes in a porta-potty?  Garbage bag?

HermosaBoy

I'm checking a bag, but I've been wondering how I'm going to change after the race.  I don't have the advantage of a club suite.  Wet wipes in a porta-potty?  Garbage bag?

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I fear I won't look that vibrant.  Actually, I'm pretty sure that's his before-race picture.

#artbydmcbride

So we are supposed to shower first before meeting for post race beer?

Runners run

Anonymous Guest

I heard they were going to have "changing tents" near bag check at the finish.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

There's post-race beer?

Liz

pace sera, sera

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I heard they were going to have "changing tents" near bag check at the finish.

Okay, that helps.

Julia1971

Yeah, the new bag check situation threw me a bit. No checking bags in the Athlete's Village. I'm staying with family outside of Boston and will have someone drop me off at the Hopkinton State Park to take a shuttle bus to the start village. It would be ridiculous for them to drive all the way in to Boston so I could take a bus back out to Hopkinton. But that means no bag check option for me.

It looks like the weather will be pretty warm -- predicting 60's in the afternoon, so I think I'll be okay until I can get dry clothes from my husband. But spectators can't be carrying around large bags or backpacks, so I'm planning to pack extra clothes in a clear bag for him to carry for me. That's the plan at the moment.

I'm staying downtown but my plan is to skip bag check and carry my phone, ipod, hotel card, a little cash, Honey Stinger packets, an old heat shield, a tube of Body Glide, and some tissues on me to the AV in my Spibelt and BondiBand arm sleeve.  This is a far cry from what I usually bring so it will be interesting to see if I miss all the other "just in case I need it" stuff.

If they're giving out the same type of poncho as NYCM did, people said they were pretty warm so I think I'll be okay until I can get back to my hotel.

My plan is also subject to change.  Smile

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

I'm leaning toward no check. Unless there's some reason I would want to hang around before walking back to my hotel?

Liz

pace sera, sera