What are your thoughts on the elliptical? (Read 3506 times)

Purdey

Self anointed title

JakeKnight

Darn, you stole my joke.
      That joke, now a half year old, is my masterpiece. My finest work. And it has never, ever received its proper appreciation. And no, you didn't think of it. It's pure genius. No inferior intellect could come up with that.* * Legally mandated disclaimer: Just kidding, all in good fun, cheeri-o pip pip, huzzah! Tight lipped

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

If I remember correctly, JK was so proud of himself he even linked to it in another thread and demanded props. I thought that was cute. I'd find it but rule number one about the swamp is to not discuss the new world order. Come to think of it, please disregard this post as I'm fearful I'll get booted (again).

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

JakeKnight

If I remember correctly, JK was so proud of himself he even linked to it in another thread and demanded props. I thought that was cute.
          I did? Hmm. Should I do it again? Too much? Tasteless cretins. What's this Swamp you speak of?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

Non ducor, duco.

Great, now I am channeling a gorilla and not coming up with this laconic wit on my own.
              I'm sidelined at the moment due to shin splints (possibly stress fracture) and now a pulled calf muscle. But.... I'm finding that I can still "elipt" (along with swimming). The problem I have is that the stride length seems to short and I can't see anyway of altering it. Definitely agree that intervals on the elliptical are the way to go - you can really get a good workout. Today I managed to max out at 95% of my max HR, with my recovery taking me down to 70%. A good session.
              That's really the only way I use it. I'll do my HIIT on it. It's good for that since the injury risk is lower than if I wereto do sprints.

I vote no to the elliptical because it's still a weight-bearing exercise and I'd rather not do weight-bearing cross-training. Plus I never felt like I could get an LOE over 5 or 6 on one.
                2008 Goals Don't attack the guy that passes me like I'm standing still when I think I'm running fast...I can't catch him anyway and I'd just look silly

Misinformation Officer

How soon can I get off this dumb machine and run. Wink
                    It's no fun but I believe it to be one of the better forms of cross training; definitely more beneficial for runners than cycling. Several people have mentioned that you need to turn up the intenisity to get a good workout, but I found that I needed to turn it down! Maybe I would like it better if I was able to get used to it but hopefully I won't have to. I used it while nursing a sore groin that running aggravated and the eliptical didn't. I was dripping with sweat after 30 minutes--quads got very tired.
                    Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

Nursing student running

Hi Big grin
                      Goals: 08-09' Buy 2 really good bras. Do NOT fall off the running wagon this school year. Run the Turkey Day 5k. Get upto 20 mpw by New Years. Run 10k Triathalon Half Marathon by next summer. Get into some skinny jeans! (all while eating chocolate.)
                        I'm dealing with a little case of patellofemoral syndrome so am giving the elliptical a whirl while letting it heal (I WILL get to the startline at Chicago....). We have one at home but since I started running I can't stand it and I think it's because of the short stride length. There is a model at our health club called the Natural Runner (not sure of make) which is supposed to have a normal stride length and it definitely feels more like running. So I'm going to try not to lose my sanity while staring at the TV until the pain is gone....anyone have any comments on how long this kind of thing takes to heal? I had an IT band issue last year which took almost 6 months, this feels like it will not be nearly as bad (I hope!).

The Greatest of All Time

I have not taken the time to read this entire thread but let me throw this in... I got injured back in April 3 weeks before a goal marathon. I ended up having surgery on July 25. Since late April I was on the elliptical sometimes twice a day and it did help me maintain a substantial amount of fitness, while not aggravating my knee. Ellipticals are awesome if you set them up correctly. In other words, make your time on the machine count. Ellipticians Ellipt.
                          all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

Best Present Ever

Ellipticals are awesome if you set them up correctly. In other words, make your time on the machine count.
                            what do you mean by "set them up properly?" there isn't too much to set up on the ellipticals I use. I have found that some of them aggravate my knee and some don't, but as far as I know, i can't change much other than the intensity. (My gym has maybe 20 machines of a variety of makes and models and ages, so they vary a bit) Just wondering if there's something I ought to be doing....

The Greatest of All Time

what do you mean by "set them up properly?" there isn't too much to set up on the ellipticals I use. I have found that some of them aggravate my knee and some don't, but as far as I know, i can't change much other than the intensity. (My gym has maybe 20 machines of a variety of makes and models and ages, so they vary a bit) Just wondering if there's something I ought to be doing....
                              My gym has basically two types. The one with the adjustable cross ramp and the one with the arm poles. The later resembles running more than the former. What I meant about setting them us correctly was to adjust it however you need to in order to get your heart rate up. My heart rate at 7:30 pace is about 155, but if I jump on an elliptical it won't get much above 130 unless I work a little harder. That was my point. I was using them in place in running and trying to maintain as much fitness as possible while injured. Therefore it was important for me to do workouts in the same HR range.
                              all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

S&M Collector

Elliptiallians Ellipt.
                                Come across any cool medals lately?