Breeding the nutrition out of our food - NYT article (Read 193 times)

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

CSP

Weeds in the garden are healthier than the produce.  Just can't convince the homeowners association to let me keep them.

Mysecondnewname

Thanks for that link--fascinating.

From the article:  "It is now known that many of the most beneficial phytonutrients have a bitter, sour or astringent taste"

Having grown up eating "bitter melon" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitter_melon , I'm not sure I'd eat any veggies if they all reverted back to the bitter, sour kind. Big grin

Thanks for that link--fascinating.

From the article:  "It is now known that many of the most beneficial phytonutrients have a bitter, sour or astringent taste"

Having grown up eating "bitter melon" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitter_melon , I'm not sure I'd eat any veggies if they all reverted back to the bitter, sour kind. Big grin

If you dare to try bitter melon, you can eat any food. :-)

When I was a child, my mother ordered me to eat bitter melon. She said it could clean my stomach and intestine.

“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.” from the Article.

In China, there are some medicine restaurants. When you feel sick, you can go to the restaurants. A doctor will diagnose (checking pulse, tongue, eyes, etc.) and order a meal for you. You can also have the recipe and cook for yourself. 

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

This is interesting. Why couldn't nature have just made the ones that are healthier for us taste better to us? That would have made things much easier for everyone.

New motto: Bitter is better!

I've heard another interesting nutritional tidbit about our food having less nutrients and flavor over time due to farmers aiming to grow their crops larger. So those extra large tomatoes or giant strawberries would have less flavor and health benefits than their smaller versions from years ago.

WordPress Speed Guides: my personal website with speed and seo guides

vincoding.com: repository of useful code snippets that I've saved over time

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

New motto: Bitter is better!

I've heard another interesting nutritional tidbit about our food having less nutrients and flavor over time due to farmers aiming to grow their crops larger. So those extra large tomatoes or giant strawberries would have less flavor and health benefits than their smaller versions from years ago.

Slow down a little.  We evolved to not like bitter because plant poisons tend to be bitter alkalines.  Some bitters are not better.

I hate the huge, cardboard-flavored strawberries you get these days.  If you've ever had a wild mountain strawberry...they're the size of your little fingertip, but wow...

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I hate the huge, cardboard-flavored strawberries you get these days.  If you've ever had a wild mountain strawberry...they're the size of your little fingertip, but wow...

Yes, it is so sad that the strawberry has gone the way of the tomato.

steph  

Slow down a little.  We evolved to not like bitter because plant poisons tend to be bitter alkalines.  Some bitters are not better.

I see. Well that explains that. Luckily our supermarkets don't stock the poison plants... only the garbage processed foods that are poison to our health. On that note, a friend of mine posted this recently: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2345564/Shocking-list-US-foods-BANNED-countries-containing-dangerous-chemicals.html

I want a wild mountain strawberry really bad now. I've had home garden strawberries, but not wild mountain strawberries.

WordPress Speed Guides: my personal website with speed and seo guides

vincoding.com: repository of useful code snippets that I've saved over time

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

When I was a kid and young adult, I used to collect those mountain strawberries on longer hikes, and then in the evening enjoy a whole cupful of those little miracle berries. We loved them!

I remember that even on my way to school there was a hill where these strawberries grew. My sister and I never told anyone about them!

Run for fun.

A Saucy Wench

They arent wild strawberries, but Oregon has some pretty nice berries in June.  They are fragile and small and they cant sell them in supermarkets because they are fragile.  So good - ALMOST a wild strawberry.   So it floors me when berries are in season and I see people in the safeway paying more for tasteless california strawberries.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7