Fartleks...ow! (Read 718 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Damn, I remember why I hated those so much in HS! First time in several months that my shins have hurt during a run! Blah. I need to find some hills to do. I always liked hills so much more than fartleking or interval training. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Fartleks as I remember are unscructured, whatever-comes-to-mind kind of running that shouldn't cause pain. It really closely resembles how a child plays--whatever strikes you at the moment you do, run slow, run fast, walk, whatever your mood. It is best done on trails. To me fartlekking is the fun part of running! "Leave the watch home and go play" my running mentor years ago would say. My how things change over time.

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I didn't really time my "sprints," just picked random landmarks and probably ran my butt off for about 20-30 seconds each time (for maybe 100m, so nowhere near an actual sprint pace for the distance), followed by several minutes of just easy, slow-paced run. I was only out for 30 minutes and did I think a total of 8 fast segments, but it was definitely harder work than my long, easy runs.

~ Sarah Kay

Sounds like you were focused more on the speedwork aspect of it which will definitly stretch some of those muscles that are used to routine, easy miles! You might need a nice easy day tomorrow, maybe even a walk!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah, tomorrow is one of my off days, so I'm looking forward to it. I think you're right--I used muscles differently than I am used to and longer, faster strides. And I haven't really done any speedwork in a while, aside from the occasional tempo run, which is still probably closer to a regular easy run than it is to a faster semi-sprint (since my tempo runs are still pretty damned slow, LOL). I do think that doing speedwork on a regular basis will help my times, though. As I have increased my mileage my pace hasn't increased a whit, and I'd like to see that change. My goal is to complete the half marathon this Fall in under an 11 minute mile pace (10 minute would be a dream). Right now my long runs are all about 12 minutes. k

~ Sarah Kay

Yeah, tomorrow is one of my off days, so I'm looking forward to it. I think you're right--I used muscles differently than I am used to and longer, faster strides. And I haven't really done any speedwork in a while, aside from the occasional tempo run, which is still probably closer to a regular easy run than it is to a faster semi-sprint (since my tempo runs are still pretty damned slow, LOL). I do think that doing speedwork on a regular basis will help my times, though. As I have increased my mileage my pace hasn't increased a whit, and I'd like to see that change. My goal is to complete the half marathon this Fall in under an 11 minute mile pace (10 minute would be a dream). Right now my long runs are all about 12 minutes. k
              Hi Kirsten I agree with" intherunning" in that it sounds like you are using the fartlek for speedwork. Try throwing in a few at slower that your normal pace mixed in with some faster paced runs. Fartleks are a great way to introduce yourself to speedwork. Great opportunity to work on your turnover as we discussed earlier. Dave (another short legged runner)
              WHO FARTLEK"D ?
                Speaking of fartleks and speedwork, do either of you know how to customize the run "type." I did it before and I'll be dipped if I can remember what I clicked where to make changes. John

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Speaking of fartleks and speedwork, do either of you know how to customize the run "type." I did it before and I'll be dipped if I can remember what I clicked where to make changes. John
                  Hmmm...I know there's a way to do it...I can't find it either, though... k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Wait, I found it.... Options > My Log Preferences > Workout Types (running) That should do it. Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

Okay I'll give it a try. And if it works I'll tell Eric to never mind! Thanks. John