? re: moving time on Garmin vs. MB -- which is correct? (Read 1027 times)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I've used my Garmin in a HM and Marathon now, and for both races I found it measured the courses as apx. 0.2-0.3 miles longer than the race is. Since we're on the topic of Garmin accuracy, has anyone else experienced this? I know not taking proper tangents around corners adds distance... but 0.2-0.3 miles worth of distance?
    This is a common result. Being 0.3 miles long is only 1.1% off for a marathon, so that's not much. And over the course of a long race, not taking the tangents and corners properly really can add up, especially on a course with a lot of curves.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

JakeKnight

I've used my Garmin in a HM and Marathon now, and for both races I found it measured the courses as apx. 0.2-0.3 miles longer than the race is. Since we're on the topic of Garmin accuracy, has anyone else experienced this? I know not taking proper tangents around corners adds distance... but 0.2-0.3 miles worth of distance?
      Trent and I ran the same route 4 times last week. It is exactly 11.8 miles. We both wore Garmins. I think we ranged from 11.7 to 11.9. Never got the same reading. I routinely find it off by 0.01-0.05 miles per mile on a hilly course with a lot of turns. Over the course of 20 miles that can add up.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

0.3 miles long is only 1.1% off for a marathon, so that's not much.
        Ah statistics. Gotta love them. Thats a very good point you raise when you think of it in those terms. A 1.1% error is not that much (be it the runner or the device) Hills, crowd weaving, and inefficient tangents make for extra distance/computing errors. I guess I'll stop sending hate mail to race directors now (kidding) A good thing to be aware of too, especially when going for a time goal... don't be too confident in the readings of one's Garmin. It is nothing but a (close) approximation of what you have actually done.