defrosting a mini-fridger (Read 591 times)

"run" "2" "eat"

in my office, i have a mini-fridger that's been here maybe like 6 or 8 years without being defrosted. 

there's a rather sizable chunk of ice in there.

how many towels should i plan to have at the ready when i thaw her out?

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

dennrunner

one extra large beach towel.

this post reminded me of a question I heard years ago:

There's a house and all four sides have a southern exposure. What color is the bear? 

You likely don't have to melt all the ice.  In a lot of these the freezer is just a metal enclosure.  If this is what you have:

1. Turn off and empty fridge.
          2. Take a towel, make it wet, and nuke it until it is very hot. 
          3. Wrap the towel against the metal of the freezer.  (Alternatively a hairdryer works pretty well to heat up the metal)
          4. The metal conducts the heat well and melts the ice touching it, give it a couple minutes to work.
          5. Pull off the chunks of now detached ice. 

If your freezer is not like this, sorry I can't help.  But this has worked really well for me in the past.

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

If it hasn't been defrosted in that long, the ice buildup is stable.  So no need to defrost. 

The minifridge in my office has not been defrosted in almost two years for that reason.  Plus, of course, general laziness. 

"run" "2" "eat"

If your freezer is not like this, sorry I can't help.  But this has worked really well for me in the past.

interesting, and yes, my freezer is as you describe.

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

I used a hair dryer and in 5 minutes my heavy buildup cracked a bit and gave me a few nice big pieces that could just be pulled out (only a year of buildup at 6/10 chill level though)

MTA: I did wait 10 minutes for it to crack apart after leaving the door closed with that heat in there

Prince of Fatness

+1 on the hair dryer idea.  Just don't get too aggressive trying to get the ice off.  Let it loosen up.  For example, you don't want to pry at it with a screwdriver.  Don't ask me how I know that.

Not at it at all. 

L Train

#artbydmcbride

+1 on the hair dryer idea.  Just don't get too aggressive trying to get the ice off.  Let it loosen up.  For example, you don't want to pry at it with a screwdriver.  Don't ask me how I know that.

Big grin

Runners run

#artbydmcbride

this post reminded me of a question I heard years ago:

There's a house and all four sides have a southern exposure. What color is the bear? 

White!

Runners run

So, Waffs, did you hair dry your fridge or go the nuked towel route?

Pics?

"run" "2" "eat"

Photobucket

mikeymike

OMG IS THAT A BEFORE OR AFTER PICTURE?

Runners run