"Goliath" is DEAD!!!" (Read 1073 times)

2008 Philly Trifecta

Ever since I started running, there have been certain distances that just seemed unattainable. First, there was 5 mile. Then there was the 10k...then 8 miles, my longest run as of 9/28... Today, all that would change! It was a beautiful Autumn morning, and was debating whether to do my long run today, or just a 3-4miler. My knees felt great, the air was cool and crisp, so I thought...hmmmm, we'll see. With my new Garmin 305, I headed out on a new course. As I began running, I felt great. Felt like this was going to be a great run. This could be the day I slay Goliath... Although I have signed up and am training to run my first half-marathon...I've just taken it one run at a time. My long run has grown from 3mile to 8. This morning I did it... I RAN 10 MILES!!!! I just ran...one foot in front of the other. Enjoying the day and the possible accomplishment. It may not seem like much to some of you...but I was 250lbs when this journey began this Jan. Set backs and sidelined...but I kept going... Logged on RA, and received great advice and tips from friends I've never met... Second milestone today...I broke 220lbs This morning I weighed 219lbs So, forgive me for the rant... I just ran 10 miles...! Dave "Let us run with endurance the race God has set before us..." Heb 12:1

***Check out my site: where I've been, and where I'm going @ releasetherunner.blogspot.com
    2008 Philly Trifecta:
    10 Mile Broad St Run-5/4
    Philly Distance Run HM-9/21
    Philly Marathon-11/23
    "A goal not written down is only a dream...!"

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Dave, that is awesome--both the weight loss AND the mileage goal! You will rock that half marathon! Soon you'll be looking back at 10 miles as a "no biggie" distance. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Imminent Catastrophe

Whoa. 30 lbs and a 10-miler. Congrats! This is why I like RA, reading these success stories. Keep up the good work, you're within spittin' distance of that half marathon! Like Zoomie said, pretty soon you'll be saying, "Aw, I just did a little 10-miler"!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Another Passion

Ahem... Dave... you need to update your current weight on your profile! Wink Congrats on the weight loss and the new long long run!! Rick "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13 (my life verse)

Rick
          "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
          "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
          runningforcassy.blogspot.com

So Goliath says to himself as he slumps to the ground, Why is it always some guy named David? You've come a really long way in a short time, congrats to you and keep up the good work.

E.J.
            Greater Lowell Road Runners
            Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Imminent Catastrophe

(off topic) Man, the posts are coming fast and furious tonight... maybe we need a chat room.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

WTG!! First double digit run - priceless Smile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                Thyroid Support Group

2008 Philly Trifecta

Ahem... Dave... you need to update your current weight on your profile! Wink Congrats on the weight loss and the new long long run!! Rick "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13 (my life verse)
                  Thanks rvelich! I just updated my weight on the profile...wow! I've come a loooong way, THANKS to Phil 4:13 I often mutter it while running Thanks Zoomie, Perfesser, Baddawg and Chenille! YOur support and encouragement goes a long way! (Double Digit run...I never thought of it like that!) Next goal is "Onederland" (to weigh in the One-hundreds) This year has been all about building a base and getting the mileage under my belt. I'll incorperate speed and interval training next year. A 10 mile run was a goal I wasn't supposed to hit until 10/25..building to a 12 miler 2 weeks out. Do you think I should run the 1/2 distance in training BEFORE the 1/2? Confused Dave

***Check out my site: where I've been, and where I'm going @ releasetherunner.blogspot.com
                  2008 Philly Trifecta:
                  10 Mile Broad St Run-5/4
                  Philly Marathon-11/23

2008 Philly Trifecta

Thanks rvelich! I just updated my weight on the profile...wow! I've come a loooong way, THANKS to Phil 4:13 I often mutter it while running Thanks Zoomie, Perfesser, Baddawg and Chenille! YOur support and encouragement goes a long way! (Double Digit run...I never thought of it like that!) Next goal is "Onederland" (to weigh in the One-hundreds) This year has been all about building a base and getting the mileage under my belt. I'll incorperate speed and interval training next year. A 10 mile run was a goal I wasn't supposed to hit until 10/25..building to a 12 miler 2 weeks out. Do you think I should run the 1/2 distance in training BEFORE the 1/2 on 11/18? Confused Dave

2008 Philly Trifecta:
                    10 Mile Broad St Run-5/4
                    Philly Marathon-11/23

Wingz

Professional Noob

Cool Cool Big grin

Roads were made for journeys...

Think Whirled Peas

Do you think I should run the 1/2 distance in training BEFORE the 1/2 on 11/18? Confused Dave
                        Congrats Dave! That's awesome! Keep up the great work. I had the same question about my half coming up in Oct. and I decided that I NEEDED TO KNOW if I could make the distance. My previous long run was about 10 miles too. I couldn't take not knowing if I could make the full 13.1 miles. Finally, last weekend I mapped one out and ran it. And I'm glad I did!!! It has really helped my attitude knowing I can do it! While your training schedule might not have the 13 miles in it before race day, it might give you that piece of mind of having "done the distance" before. GOOD LUCK! Q

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

Congratulations Dave on meeting and EXCEEDING your goals! Awesome progress!! Regarding your 1/2M - I agree with Q. I just ran my first 1/2M a couple of weeks ago, and I had made it a point to get in a 14 mile Sunday run a couple of weeks prior to the race. I felt it was important for me psychologically to know that I had run 13.1 before and could do it. I feel that having run the distance helped me a good bit during the race - when I was feeling tired, I just kept telling myself "You've DONE this, you've DONE this" and before I knew it, I had DONE it again! Cool Good luck and keep up the good work!

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

Way to go! This may be your first 10 miler, but there will be plenty of them in your future!

Run to Win
                            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Regarding your 1/2M - I agree with Q. I just ran my first 1/2M a couple of weeks ago, and I had made it a point to get in a 14 mile Sunday run a couple of weeks prior to the race. I felt it was important for me psychologically to know that I had run 13.1 before and could do it. I feel that having run the distance helped me a good bit during the race - when I was feeling tired, I just kept telling myself "You've DONE this, you've DONE this" and before I knew it, I had DONE it again! Cool
                              DITTO! I always have made sure that I can run the full distance (+ a little more) of any race at least 10 days BEFORE I attempt it. I think this is the thing that will have me the most nervous before I ever run a marathon. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Another Passion

You, among many others here Dave, are a source of inspiration! Rock on my friend! Looking at your updated profile made me Big grin.

Rick
                                "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                                "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                                runningforcassy.blogspot.com