Hi! I'm new and bewildered! (Read 1126 times)

Hi Christy! Welcome aboard and thanks for your post. I have been discouraged lately because I started running last spring (C25K and then OHR) and got up to the amazing feat of running 6 miles at a time last fall. But I got injured and slacked off all winter and have been working back into it. I'm signed up for a 5K this coming weekend and have been debating on whether or not to do it because I know it'll take me 40 minutes if I'm lucky. Your post made me realize the reasons I got into running last year and reminds me that each new milestone is a wonderful accomplishment. And I'm going to run this weekend and say 'screw the time. this is for FUN!' So thanks! You totally cheered me up! And your July 4th 5K sounds perfect. Good for you! -Monica
    -Monica

Slow and steady wins the race means a lot of fast people pass you.
      Welcome, Christy! I know exactly how you feel! Started running this past November and totally amazed myself the first time I ran a mile. Can run more than 6 now. My first 10k race is May 30. Have my sights on a half-marathon this September. It's great you're already up to 2 miles. You'll see, the miles will start racking up rather quickly now. Good luck with the 5k race! Paul
        Every runner started with the first step. I started at age 46. In two weeks I'll be running my first HM! If you would've told me three years ago that I would be running ONE mile I would've laughed in your face, now I'm routinely running 4-5 miles and long runs of 11-12 miles. Who knew???? Wish I would've started when I was younger.
        Hi Christy and Welcome to RA! I quote because I can echo that sentiment exactly. A year ago, I was overweight in the middle, really pissed about it, and in September of Last Year, took my first steps beginning with the C25K program as well. Despite an injury that cost me about 4 weeks, ( running my first 5K too fast for my level of conditioning) I have done GREAT. My long runs are up to 7 miles ( Starting next week) and my everyday training runs are 4-5 milers. I NEVER would have dreamed it possible from where I started. I have lost weight, ( diet and running) and have never felt better about myself. Again, I echo that I wish I had done this when I was in my 20's but then again, maybe it took the wisdom of my 40's to get my head in the game. There are LOTS of AWESOME people here, who all share a passion for running, and unlike alot of other sites, a sincere willingness to answer all of your questions without making you feel silly. Sit Back, Read, Participate, and Enjoy~ You just found the Coolest Running site on the Web! Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Welcome Smile We look forward to hearing from you.
          Do bears bear? Do bees be?
          Doug Little

Christy, The first step was the hardest. Some are easier than others but they are all fun, espoecially when you cross that finish line on the 4th. The fireworks will be in year heart and spirit! I run a July 3rd run in Knoxville, Tn and the humidity is usually higher than the temp but the finish line never looks better! Congrats! Doug

Queen of 3rd Place

Welcome Christy! Your post is inspirational! You'll be amazed what you can do, with just a bit of effort...Can't wait to hear more from you... Arla

Ex runner

Speediest Slug There Is!

Yep, zoom-zoom and sockoni, I'm a proud native Michigander and UM Alumnus! But... I'm moving to New Brunswick/Piscataway New Jersey in August! I've never been there in my life and we'll be there 5 years for my hubby's (and eventually my) grad school. Shocked Hope there are some nice places to run over there... I'll miss all the trees.
                Fall seven times, stand up eight.
                Goals:
                *Complete a 5K (no walking)
                Tortoise and Hare 5K, 42:05, 13:35 pace PR
                *Weigh 160 lbs 5 to go!!!
                *15 mpw base
                  Yep, zoom-zoom and sockoni, I'm a proud native Michigander and UM Alumnus! But... I'm moving to New Brunswick/Piscataway New Jersey in August! I've never been there in my life and we'll be there 5 years for my hubby's (and eventually my) grad school. Shocked Hope there are some nice places to run over there... I'll miss all the trees.
                  I was so disappointed, I thought you meant New Brunswick, the Canadian province, not New Brunwick, the New Jersey city as I read it.

Speediest Slug There Is!

I was so disappointed, I thought you meant New Brunswick, the Canadian province, not New Brunwick, the New Jersey city as I read it.
                    Oh man, I wish. Canada's great!
                    Fall seven times, stand up eight.
                    Goals:
                    *Complete a 5K (no walking)
                    Tortoise and Hare 5K, 42:05, 13:35 pace PR
                    *Weigh 160 lbs 5 to go!!!
                    *15 mpw base