The Exercise Equivalent of a Cheeseburger? (Read 389 times)

Mysecondnewname

From the Wall Street Journal today  (Once again....*SIGH*)

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323975004578501150442565788.html

What makes this latest report a tiny bit different is it quotes Paul Thompson (a frequent critic of past studies) as being less skeptical these days.

I think that these data are beginning to confirm what many have suspected:   there is likely a sweet spot for health benefits to endurance exercise for the average person, and running marathons probably isn't all that good for you.

While it's not possible to extrapolate what will happen to a given individual from population statistics, I do think these sorts of studies are worthwhile so at least we can eventually discover what we are getting into. The longitudinal studies are particularly interesting.

The data certainly aren't conclusive, so I'm not going to change my behavior at this point, but at least it does give my Mom articles to send me (since she is convinced I'm going to Dead from this marathon stuff.)

Eating three sliders?

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

bjoiner

"The line began to blur between the health effects of running marathons and eating cheeseburgers."

See. I knew cheeseburgers were healthy.

Mysecondnewname

"The line began to blur between the health effects of running marathons and eating cheeseburgers."

Big grin

That extra six years of longevity running has been shown to confer? That benefit may disappear beyond 30 miles of running a week, suggest recent research.

I feel fine and for years now.  And I've been averaging 60 to 80 plus miles per week.  My only problem with long distance running are the pigs who work for Metra railroad. Angry

Not dead. Yet.

How can we know our limits if we don't test them?

Prince of Fatness

Not at it at all. 

Chris T

So, running an average of five miles a day is now considered excessive endurance exercise?

Wow.

"Let me blow ya mind." -Eve

keeponrunning

Before I read the article, I was thinking [hoping] that's what the study would say Big grin

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

I've always found it interesting that running studies frequently talk about volume in terms of MPW.  I would run my allotted 30 weekly miles in a bit over 210 minutes, where as a good many runners would take over 300.  I expect the health impact (positive or negative) to be more driven by duration of activity, than the distance the runner covers.  But, by measuring and reporting based on MPW the important number (time) can easily vary by 50%.

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

I have to say that was one of the worst articles I have read.  Very little statistics and no control group information until the end which looked like wasn't related to this study at all.   Sure there are 3-4 iron man runners who had some weird heart issues but think about the 200million couch potatoes dying of ______ ( fill in the blank). They mentioned A-fib heart condition. It is funny because my uncle got A-fib because he was 150 pounds overweight....  I would rather get something wrong with me from trying to be healthy.  Thumbs down on this article!

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:38.53  Summer Sizzle 7/13/14

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34

Hilarious assumption:

We do this because we believe it's healthy for us.

Ha.  It is healthier than my old addictions, however.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                              Emil Zatopek

Chris T

I absolutely did start running because I believed that it was good for me.