Used treadmills (Read 135 times)

Jill_B

I fly.

I'm going to look at one this afternoon. Any advice on questions I should ask or what I should look for in a used treadmill?

Bring it on.

Menace to Sobriety

I've never bought a new or used TM, but I'd apply the same logic that I apply to buying any type of used machinery. Plan on running on it, at the speed you intend to use it for for a few minutes, at least. Make sure the acceleration and deceleration is smooth and the belt doesn't slip. Operate the incline, use all the controls, etc.  Pay attention for any strange smells or noises, look underneath for debris from abnormal rubbing. I think a little fine dust is normal, our Y TMs seem to have some and they're rarely broken. Another good rule of thumb when I buy a car or boat if I'm at the seller's house, is to look at the rest of their stuff. If everything you see seems to be in some state of disrepair or otherwise screwed up, if may give you a clue as to how they've taken care of the TM. Ultimately, anything used is a gamble and perfectly well cared for stuff can blow up the week after you buy it. You just have to use your best judgement. Good luck.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

Mostly harmless

I'm going to look at one this afternoon. Any advice on questions I should ask or what I should look for in a used treadmill?

Only buy a used treadmill from someone that is overweight.  That way you know that they bought it as a New Year's resolution but didn't actually use it.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

Only buy a used treadmill from someone that is overweight.  That way you know that they bought it as a New Year's resolution but didn't actually use it.

I never thought of this, but this is some good advice.....Big grin

Champions are made when no one is watching

I never thought of this, but this is some good advice.....Big grin

I'd look for one that has absolutely no dust on it, but perhaps some faint water spots. That was you know it was only used as a clothes line.

Cool Jump Suit

I bought one back in 2001 that lasted until 2010.....I got around 5,000+ miles out of it.  The big thing was maintenance.  We had a service tech come out and change the rollers and lubricate it as necessary.  So, I would just test it out and ask about what maintenance is has been done and find out the total miles it has.  Oh, and ask them if the motor was turned off after every use.  When I bought the one in 2001, they told me to be sure I turned off the base of the treadmill, not just pulled the key out to turn off the display/controls.  I was told that gave a longer life to the motor.  Good luck!

So bittersweet,
              This tragedy
              Won't ask for absolution;
              This melody,
              Inside of me,
              Still searches for solution.
              A twist of faith,
              A change of heart
              Cures my infatuation.
              A broken heart, 
              Provides the spark
              For my determination.

kate22

Spam

uncontrollable

I actually scoured Craigs list and scored an amazing treadmill, barely used for 300$ & it's worth a good 2,000$ ... I had to be patient & look & take the time to go check it out but it was SO WORTH IT.  It has never given me a problem and I saved A TON of money.  Worth checking out! Smile

peace

Feeling the growl again

if you know the model ahead of time, many models have a key combo to give you total miles or hours used and you can look the instructions up online.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

If you were closer, I'd give you mine.  I finally realized it's silly to have a TM where I live because the weather is good for running outside 99% of the time.  And now DH stores junk on it.

4/14/24 Napa Valley 50k, Calistoga, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR