Running at the Super Bowl (Read 893 times)

AnyoNe on here from Indy? Heading there next week for the big game. Lots or eating out and lots of beer means I have to run lots of miles!! Any suggestions for running routes in Indianapolis?

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

an amazing likeness

There's a bunch of Indy area folks (i'm not) who will give better info, but if you're staying near the stadium in the downtown area, there's a pretty extensive path network called Canal walk and White River Park out to the zoo.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Are you actually staying downtown?  If so, what Milktruck said.  If you need a longer run, you can access the Towpath from the White River Park area to meet the Monon...or Fallpark Greenway...or even just access the Monon from downtown to the Greenway, etc.  If you Google The Monon it will show you a map with all the access points and surrounding trails.

Feeling the growl again

If you are staying downtown....

Look for the big new JW Marriott, can't miss it...tall and curved glass side.  From it, cross the street to the north then run west along the obviously new brick sidewalk, you'll see the flags for the NCAA hall and cross a bridge over the river.  Continue to follow this path and from the Marriott you can get about 4 miles out one way without having to think (the trail keeps going from there but it's not intuitive to find the connection).  That's a decent run along the river that I do regularly over lunch.  It is easier to run than the canal, which you are crossing in the afore-mentioned bridge, because there are no stairs etc and it is much longer.

You can run the Monon out of downtown, but I never have because, quite frankly, the south portion is quite sketchy.

If you're staying somewhere besides downtown, let us know where and we can help you out.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

C-R

knifey and spaniel hit the downtown routes well. The White River and Towpath routes are super.

If you have a car and want some trails, I would suggest heading to Eagle Creek off 56th St. About 10 minutes from downtown using I-65. Wonderful place to run and if you're an AFC fan, the Pats will be practicing at the Colts facility off 56th St and about a mile from the Eagle Creek park entrance. 

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

These sound like great suggestions, especially if we catch a glimpse of the Pats practicing!

Yes, we are staying reasonably close to downtown, near intersection of 17th Street and N. Delaware.

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

Feeling the growl again

These sound like great suggestions, especially if we catch a glimpse of the Pats practicing!

Yes, we are staying reasonably close to downtown, near intersection of 17th Street and N. Delaware.

If you go down to 16th and run west, you can pick up the White River trail on the north side of the road directly across from the VA and Wishard hospitals.  There is a steel suspension bridge taking it across the river there, can't miss it.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Ran the canal out towards the zoo and ran along the river a bit - 6 miles total.  Beautiful day here today!  Thanks for the tips.

2018 Goals

No racing goals 

an amazing likeness

Ran the canal out towards the zoo and ran along the river a bit - 6 miles total.  Beautiful day here today!  Thanks for the tips.

When you get out past the zoo on that path, you can keep going towards those old grain elevator (or whatever they are), then cross back over the river on the bridge and come back down New York St (I think? ...it's the road that is right parallel to the river/stream/canal, then hang a right after the park back towards the JW and start another lap, I thought that worked out well.  Especially dropping down to the Canal path behind the Eiteljorg museum, the over back over to zoo.

(Take this with a major caveat -- I've been to Indianapolis exactly once...)

That's funny because that is exactly the loop we ran today! Smile  And yes, it was New York!

2018 Goals

No racing goals 

an amazing likeness

That's funny because that is exactly the loop we ran today! Smile  And yes, it was New York!

The zoo was pretty good to visit as well.  Good penguin action.

Feeling the growl again

That's pretty much my lunch run, though I typically don't go by the zoo, stick to the other side of the river, and go further north...fewer street crossings.

Glad you're enjoying our city.  The weather is always like this in February... Roll eyes    (last year this time, much of the sidewalk you ran on was covered in treacherous ice)

C-R

That's funny as its the route I ran when I worked downtown. Try going on 10th West and cross over the foot bridge just across the street from the VA. That will take you to along the river through some nice park areas and you can go all the way to Butler although that would be about 10 round trip.

Happy you're enjoying it here. Its a great place to run.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/