statins and muscle/nerve problems (Read 502 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

hey Trent (or any other medical types who want to weigh in): Do you give any credence to reports of statins causing damage to the muscles or nervous system? inquiring minds...

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Some folks for reasons we don't really know react to statins adversely. While on statins, these folks get diffuse muscle breakdown which can lead to fatal problems. As a result, we monitor certain blood tests when starting statins. This is well described, but still poorly understood. Why do you ask?

Burninated Peasant

Any idea what this would feel like, and how to distinguish it from general fatigue? I'm always a little paranoid that I might assume my muscles are complaining about the miles when they are actually complaining about the Vytorin. Modified: I speeking gud English.
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yes: it should feel like diffuse aches, something like the Flu. There is a blood test that is positive called creatine kinase.