Knuckle lights (Read 498 times)

Supersono99

For those that wear knuckle lights, if you run in a semi well lit area, would one be sufficient? I really want it more to be seen by oncoming traffic. Also, I carry pepper spray that has a strap to attach it to my hand. Would it be possible to wear the knuckle lights and the pepper spray?

I have them, and love them.  And yes, for an area with streetlights, one is fine and is what I usually run with.  I also have pepper spray, but have never tried running with them both on one hand, I think it would work though.

I just got one of these from Road ID in my Christmas stocking, and it's also a great way to be seen in the dark by cars.  Easy, and works really well.

Supersono99

I have the blue and clear supernova arm bands that I wear and I feel like they are dim after two runs. Maybe it's just me being silly, but everyone else's lights seem bright except mine. There is a guy I used to see from at least a mile away while driving to work, I wish I knew what he had!

tomatolover

For those that wear knuckle lights, if you run in a semi well lit area, would one be sufficient? I really want it more to be seen by oncoming traffic. Also, I carry pepper spray that has a strap to attach it to my hand. Would it be possible to wear the knuckle lights and the pepper spray?

yes- definitely.  I got the lights for xmas and think they're great, even as 1..(i put one on the blinky light, the other on the seeing light and felt i could see & be seen throughout the run).  My only grief with the lights is their flimsy strap (it's really chintzy and I expect they'll be making improvements in the future).

Supersono99

Thank you, six.

B-Plus

I just received mine even though they're complete overkill for where I run. It came with a discount code for 20% off, so the first person to PM me gets it.

Mods please delete if this is not allowed.

CT JEFF

I like the term "knuckle lights" I have checked this Forum twice and the items being discussed dont seem to fit. I have seen the Road ID strobe, and cant imagine it as a "knuckle light" but then again, I have not been running for years.

http://www.knucklelights.com/

Yeah, I google'd the term. Amazing - its a brand. These things look decent, and I like that they use LED and AAA batteries. I'll put them on my wish list. For now, I really think I have enough reflective / Identification / Headlamp and other lighting to run in. But as time goes on, I'll probably pick up a pair.

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

Supersono99

I like the term "knuckle lights" I have checked this Forum twice and the items being discussed dont seem to fit. I have seen the Road ID strobe, and cant imagine it as a "knuckle light" but then again, I have not been running for years.

http://www.knucklelights.com/

Yeah, I google'd the term. Amazing - its a brand. These things look decent, and I like that they use LED and AAA batteries. I'll put them on my wish list. For now, I really think I have enough reflective / Identification / Headlamp and other lighting to run in. But as time goes on, I'll probably pick up a pair.

I just received mine so I will test them tomorrow. They are very bright and a wide beam which is great! My RoadID supernova seems dim to me, so I was not impressed by it. I've tried the knuckle lights walking my dog and I'm excited to run with them.

buchy2009

Bjørnmannen

Got mine earlier this week and have run with them a few times since.  I live in a city and run mostly in fairly well-lit areas.  I've noticed that the lights seem to bug a lot of fellow pedestrians/runners (I probably pass 20-30 other runners on any given run).  A lot of people shield their face as I pass.  Also, a lot of non-runners have seemed very amused by the knucklelights.  Have gotten some pointing and laughing.

Totally worth it though, I think.  Before, I would often have close calls with cars.  This problem seems to have been greatly mitigated by using knucklelights.

CT JEFF

Totally worth it though, I think.  Before, I would often have close calls with cars.  This problem seems to have been greatly mitigated by using knucklelights.

Thank you guys. I'll definitely be picking some up next week. I have been running some nights, but want a good system so I dont get hit. This seems worth the $

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

Supersono99

I bought mine not because I can't see, but so that cars can see me. My neighborhood is fairly well lit, but I still feel like the cars driving at the time I run are filled with half-asleep drivers that may be eating, putting on makeup and just not looking for a runner at that hour of the morning! I wanted the lights to be obnoxious enough to be seen. I do think they do that.

Imminent Catastrophe

Ultrarunner question: How long do the batteries last before the lights start dimming? And are they bright enough for rocky trails? I want to see well enough to not fall down and I'm not concerned that Bigfoot will not see me. Also, is it a spot or beam or somewhere in between?

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Ojo

Ultrarunner question: How long do the batteries last before the lights start dimming? And are they bright enough for rocky trails? I want to see well enough to not fall down and I'm not concerned that Bigfoot will not see me. Also, is it a spot or beam or somewhere in between?

I can't answer all of your questions but the only thing I wanted to let you know is that they don't handle falls well!  I fell and the knuckle light hit the ground first and has not worked well since.  Perhaps you don't fall that much but as a trail runner I would assume it happens occasionally.  Smile

Sara

MM #2929

Imminent Catastrophe

I can't answer all of your questions but the only thing I wanted to let you know is that they don't handle falls well!  I fell and the knuckle light hit the ground first and has not worked well since.  Perhaps you don't fall that much but as a trail runner I would assume it happens occasionally.  Smile

Thanks Sara, as you might deduce from my slogan, I fall a lot. That's good to know.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Ojo

I am doing a 50 mile race mid June that starts at 7 pm -- I will might bring the working knuckle light and my headlamp.  I am wondering if there is a better light that might hook on to a hydration vest.

Sara

MM #2929