Leap pad (Read 765 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Anybody with toddlers have experience with and recommendations about the new iPad-like Leap pads?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

No experience with the newer ones, Dane is almost 11 and still farts-around with his old one, even though a bunch of pixels on it went yellow.  He really used it a ton when he was maybe 4 or 5...he especially got a lot out of the Math games.  I've looked at the new ones and they look really impressive.  If we had a preschooler in the house I'm certain we'd have one.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

keeponrunning

Nothing productive to add other than you have to be kidding me...Ipad-style Leap pads?????  

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think it looks great, really.  We had quite a few Leapfrog products from the time DS was maybe 6 months old until about the time he started school.  They got a lot of use and were very durable.  They always seemed to be good toys for the money.

I just remembered that the device he really liked wasn't the Leap Pad, but the Leapster.  He actually didn't show much interest in the Leap Pad.  He's a lot like his uncle (my brother)...likes the interactive computer-y kind of devices.  I'm actually thinking that an iPod Touch might be useful for his 11th birthday.  There are a TON of educational games for that.

~ Sarah Kay

Can't tell you about the leap pad, sorry.

Another vote for the Leapster - my 2 boys (ages 5 & 6) have had the leapster explorer for about 9 months. They seem to be tough as nails, one has been dropped from about 8ft onto concrete (the leapster, not the kid!) and carried on working fine.Also agree that the the math games are good. They seem to be a hit here too.

2017 Goals
            1) Run more than 231 miles
            2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

I hate threads where someone asks about Product X, and then everywhere tells him he should really get Product Y instead of answering him.

But +1 to the Leapster.  My kid's is well-used and has proven quite durable.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

wbudde

Can't tell you about the leap pad, sorry.

Another vote for the Leapster - my 2 boys (ages 5 & 6) have had the leapster explorer for about 9 months. They seem to be tough as nails, one has been dropped from about 8ft onto concrete (the leapster, not the kid!) and carried on working fine.Also agree that the the math games are good. They seem to be a hit here too.

And just to add my $0.02 - we got my son his leapster when he was about 4, and he loved it immediately.  The thing was extremely durable and got a lot of use from my son for about five years until last year, when he just started to lose a little interest (although, he is still content to play with my old original circa-1989 GameBoy...).  My then-3-year-old daughter immediately claimed it for her own and has been using it ever since.  It has been beaten to hell and still works like new.

We also got my daughter the Tag reader from LeapFrog about a year ago - she absolutely loves it and knows how to work it better than I do.

So, I guess my point is - I don't have experience with the LeapPad specifically, but I think that LeapFrog makes a great line of products for kids that are extremely intuitive and engaging for them to use, and as a parent I feel like the kids are getting something educational from the time spent on the devices, and the things are definitely made with quality.  I don't have any hesititation buying those products for my kids.

I hate threads where someone asks about Product X, and then everywhere tells him he should really get Product Y instead of answering him.

But +1 to the Leapster.  My kid's is well-used and has proven quite durable.

And by the way - I'm not trying to say to buy something else...just saying that my experience with LeapFrog products in general has been good.

Jill_B

I fly.

Anybody with toddlers have experience with and recommendations about the new iPad-like Leap pads?

A friend of mine gave one to her daughter (5) for Christmas.  My kids (4 & 7) won't put it down when they can tear it out of her hands.  I haven't seen what they are doing on it, but it seems like a hit.  The only thing I will note, is that it is smaller than I expected.  But kids have small hands.

I think I might be buying one when they restock them at Toys R Us.

Bring it on.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Thanks all.

Looks like most of the downloadable apps are $10 (!!).  That compares to $0.99 to download similar games and educational apps on the iPad.  Am I interpreting that correctly?

Feeling the growl again

Thanks all.

Looks like most of the downloadable apps are $10 (!!).  That compares to $0.99 to download similar games and educational apps on the iPad.  Am I interpreting that correctly?

No firm info to add but this would make sense given the difference in market sizes and app development business models.

Even if they are more expensive, it may be cheaper in the long run to get the LeapPad if you were considering iPad instead.  I let me oldest play with my work iPad under certain circumstances....given the price, I would NEVER buy a kid one of their own and let them carry it around.  They are not tough enough for young kids (coworker learned that the hard way).

I'm generally not one for electronic babysitters but some of the art/educational apps have been good for my daughter.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I'm generally not one for electronic babysitters

Yeah, time spent reading a book with your child, or taking a walk, discussing the flora and fauna = priceless.

heather85

Yeah, time spent reading a book with your child, or taking a walk, discussing the flora and fauna = priceless.

Okay, I think we can all agree that using an electronic product doesn't exclude doing the other things that parents do...   Wink

I got my daughter a Leapster for long car rides mainly but I figure she'll use it sometimes when I have a lot to do that she can't help with - but I do have a question for those who have it- What games o you recommend for 3 year olds?  I got the Dora game and it was waaayyyyy too easy; she beat it in no time on the way back home and was bored quickly without new material.  For a $25 game, that chafes a little.  Not to hijack the thread at all... 

No experience with leappad

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

False dichotomy.  One can do both.

Feeling the growl again

False dichotomy.  One can do both.

Yep.  Read books to the 2 oldest last night, then stuck one with her Mobi-Go and the other with a DVD in order to give Mom a break while I tended to their newborn brother, then played board games with them when baby went down.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

So is giving kids an electronic/computer leg-up.  Woe to the kid nowadays who doesn't have a high level of comfort/proficiency with computers by the time they finish HS, especially if a person wants to work in any tech fields.  There aren't enough jobs to go around in most fields, so those with the most skills will be given first dibs.

And reading paper books is so 2009. Tongue

~ Sarah Kay