Nike Free Run *Shield* (Read 933 times)

Needs more cowbell!

Has anyone tried this version of the Nike Free Run 3?  I really love my 3s, but am wondering whether that reflective/waterproof upper is worth the added cost over the regular Free Runs.  I used to wear the Lunarflys and was not a fan of the Lunarfly Trail, since that weatherized upper made the overall fit of the shoe too snug--upsizing would not have worked, as the arches would have hit my foot in the wrong spot.  And the trails just plain felt too stiff overall.  I suspect that this could be the case with the Shield, too.

I shoot pretty things! ~

'14 Goals:

• 2 olympic distance duathlons -- 6 days apart -- PR at least 1

• 130#s (and stay there, gotdammit!)

just a simple cat

I didn't try them on, but I inspected them at the shoe store and they looked exactly the same, and felt the same weight.  One seemed to have more reflective shine on the logo though.

I  guess as you get more bodacious, you begin to lose more brain cells, because there is a limit to how much magnificence your body can house

Needs more cowbell!

That's good to hear.  I may have to try to find a pair locally, though I suspect the chain stores won't have the shield model and I may have to trek an hour to the nearest running store.

I shoot pretty things! ~

'14 Goals:

In it for the long run..

Zoomy-  I would recommend that you check out Altra shoes.  They are zero drop but with cusioning. 

"It's not who wins the workout..."

Needs more cowbell!

I don't know that I'm ready for 0, yet.  I have a pair of Brooks PureFlows which are 4, IIRC.  I think the Nike Free Runs are 6mm, which is about perfect for me, at this point.  Baby steps...it wasn't that many years ago that I was running in shoes with 12mm drops.  I tend to pedal pointy-toed, so I suspect my calf muscles are going to take a while to really stretch to be comfortable with 0 drop shoes.  The Brooks tend to make my calves kinda cranky.

I shoot pretty things! ~

'14 Goals:

I don't know anything about Nike Free but I'm on my sixth pair of Lunarglides. I tried the "Shield" version in the store thinking they might be good for the winter and found them to be overly snug and stiff, not like the Lunarglides I knew. Perhaps they would be different after breaking them in. Dunno.

I'd like to give a shout out to good wool running socks.

Needs more cowbell!

Ahhh...this is what I suspected could be the case after wearing the Lunarfly Trails, which also have some sort of weatherized/water-resistant upper.  They didn't even feel like the same shoe on my foot, even though they looked and felt pretty much the same from the outside.  I only wore those for a handful of runs before I gave up on them.  They fit me so poorly compared to the regular road version of the shoe.

I already wear Smartwool socks and generally wear heavier ones for Winter.  I definitely wouldn't have room in a shoe for those if it were any snugger.  Chances are those will be enough.  The Free Runs are just so light and ventilated that I fear cold feet if we get the sort of Winter that I'm hearing is predicted (kind of the opposite of last Winter...I loved that sort of non-winter).

I shoot pretty things! ~

'14 Goals:

One seemed to have more reflective shine on the logo though.

I'm sold.

just a simple cat

I'm sold.

You're their target!  Blush

I  guess as you get more bodacious, you begin to lose more brain cells, because there is a limit to how much magnificence your body can house