What's up? Endurance suddenly gone! (Read 1011 times)

Ringmaster

Simon, when I've had to take a few days off before, I always felt great getting back to it, not worse . . . but I'm not sure I ever took off five days in a row. Yeah, like Kristen, I'm not sure I feel comfortable posting my 100m times from a two decades ago. It's a shame, too, cause I could really fly . . . Bringing a friend on a run is good advice. Maybe I will do that. Or even my best buddy with his little green monkey and the jogging stroller. No better thing to slow you down on a run than a 30-pounder in a jogging stroller. He would love to run to Dunkin' Donuts! Thanks for the idea, Jeff! Thanks again, everyone! Especially just for the encouragement that I will be back to myself. I think I really needed to hear that.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
    Mile by Mile

Ringmaster

Okay, so this is how much of a rookie I am . . . I went out today and really concentrated on slowing down. Kept to about 10:30 and felt great the first 3/4 mi. Then it all went downhill. So I started really paying attention to what hurt and realized it was my calves--they were on fire! So during the rest of the run walk, I realized, every one of these miserable run-walks has been after the purchase of my new shoes. Could it be the shoes? I guess the only way to test the theory will be to try it out by going back to my old Nikes tomorrow. I got new shoes thinking my shin and knee pain was due to the 260 miles on the Nikes, and maybe it was, but could the new pain be blamed on the new Adidas? Like I said, I'm too much of a rookie to know. You experts chime in . . .

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
      Mile by Mile

Could be. Only one way to find out though!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

El Presidente

Part of it is that I train in training. Meaning I don't worry about running slow and even walking. There's no need to prove your studliness in every training run. That's what races are for.
          I agree with JakeKnight. For whatever reason, many regular runners have this insane drive to "max out" every time they run. There is no physiological benefit to doing this and there's probably no psychological benefit either. Just the other day, a friend of mine who knows I run and keeps saying he's going to run with me sometime was absolutely stunned when he saw my time in the Boston Marathon. He simply could not comprehend how I could run a 3:15 marathon when almost all of my training runs are in the 9:00-9:30 pace range. I say all this to re-affirm the answer that can be given to so many of the frequent questions that pop up here and that is: SLOW DOWN. As you can see from my signature line, this is something I think is important if you are in this for the long haul.

"I train conservatively so that I can race recklessly."

dev_08

I think the time off may have something to do with it. I agree with others who say slow down on your easy days. (I leave my watch at home on my recovery days). One other thing I noted looking at your log. Most of your recent runs are in the 6 mile range and it looks like you're up for a long run of 10 miles. Instead of running 6 per day, you could try a weekly schedule where you mix 4 and 7 mile daily runs with that 10 mile long run. I like to mix different distances (and pacing) into my training. Good luck!