70% of runners take ibuprofen before every workout. Say what? (Read 1359 times)

Doc, my tooth hurts

I can see the temptation to want to do this because you are sore or a little achy, but doesn't this go away after a little bit during the run? If it's that bad that it's impossible to make it through a run without NSAIDs, probably shouldn't be running anyways.   70% seems really high. That's essentially like 60000 pills before a major marathon, assuming each person is only taking 2.

I've only taken ibuprofen before a workout once, and honestly it felt GREAT. My legs weren't as tired as they normally would be on a 17 miler, but I knew that it's just masking what my body is trying to tell me. I don't see how that can be good at all.

GinnyinPA

A lot of long distance hikers (Appalachian Trail, Pacific Crest Trail, etc.) do this.  They take ibuprofen before hiking, during the day, and again at the end of the day.  I always figured that I wanted to know what was going on with my muscles, and didn't want a pain killer to mask any problems. OTOH, I always took "Vitamin I" at the end of the day, to ease inflammation.  Although possible liver issues were known, (but not discussed), I never heard that ibuprofen slowed healing until I got on the running forums.  Now, as a runner, I don't take painkillers for aches and pains, only when I feel like I've pulled a muscle or tendon - which has only happened a couple of times.  If I ever get to do another LD hike, I'll be a lot more conservative than I was before.

uncontrollable

BAD habit

peace

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

Anti-inflammatories actually HINDER muscle recovery, so it's very counterproductive.  All they do is mask pain.  Oh, and they can cause ulcers in susceptible people.  Oy vey.

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

I don't take pills of any sort. No aspirin ibruprof or advils or anything similar. Before after or during workouts...

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:38.53  Summer Sizzle 7/13/14

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34

NHLA

I met this guy on a hunting trip.  He was in his 60s and had been on NC State team that won the nation championship.  He took his shirt off and I have never seen anybody in better shape at any age. I ask him his secret and it was advil before every workout.

I met this guy on a hunting trip.  He was in his 60s and had been on NC State team that won the nation championship.  He took his shirt off and I have never seen anybody in better shape at any age. I ask him his secret and it was advil before every workout.

I remember you :-)