How to prepare for a 1 mile race? (Read 1327 times)

#artbydmcbride

What about tapering before a mile race?  Is it okay to run a 13.1 mile workout the day before? 

Last all-out speed workout 5 days before?

Runners run

luken

RA's cranky old teenager

A workout that helped me a lot for the 1600m this past spring was 3x400m, 4x200m, 3x400m. 60 seconds recovery between the 200s and 90 seconds recovery between the 400s. The thing that I liked (and hated) about this so much is that you do the 200s and get used to it, then you have to go back to 400s. It gets your legs ready for running tired and doing what they don't expect.

The next week I did 16x200m with 60 seconds in between each repeat. Sucked balls.

That's probably maybe mostly true.

#artbydmcbride

What about tapering before a mile race?  Is it okay to run a 13.1 mile workout the day before? 

Okay, so how hard should the 13.1 miles the day before be?  All out half marathon race pace?

Runners run

Are you asking if it's okay to do a 13.1 run the day before a 1 mile race? I suppose you could do that, but don't expect to have a lot of snap in your legs for the 1 mile race. Elites may be able to do something like that, but for most mortals a13 mile run, even if it's easy, will leave you a little fatigued the next day. But, if you're just training through the 1 mile race, go for it. But, so much depends on your training history.

#artbydmcbride

Thank you so much for responding!    okay, so having fatigued legs would be bad.   

<sigh>   so maybe an easy 4 mile jog with some strides instead?

and the morning of...I was planning an easy mile warmup and then some strides right before....does that sound right?

Runners run

Thank you so much for responding!    okay, so having fatigued legs would be bad.   

<sigh>   so maybe an easy 4 mile jog with some strides instead?

and the morning of...I was planning an easy mile warmup and then some strides right before....does that sound right?

4 miles ez with some strides is likely more appropriate if you want to do well in the mile race. 

As for a warm up, I realize everyone is different but given the mile race is so short, and fast, I think it would be beneficial to do very thorough warm-up.  Minimally do that 1 mile easy, but then also do 2 to 4 minutes at about your 10K pace. This is just a little "hardish" running that really gets your system ready for a hard & fast race. I don't think strides alone are enough. Then, do a few strides at race pace. Try to finish that about 10 minutes before the race starts, hydrate, then jog around, with an occasional stride until the race starts.  

This is what works for me. I did a couple shorter races over the summer and I'm now fully convinced that the shorter the race, the more important the warmup is and it has to include some bouts of hardish running. Otherwise, your system isn't prepared for the start.

MrH

As it's foreign territory to you, early in the week, you might get some psychological comfort from doing say four 200m repeats at your estimated mile pace, taking generous recovery. 

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

#artbydmcbride

I could use some psychological comfort!!   Blush

Runners run

As it's foreign territory to you, early in the week, you might get some psychological comfort from doing say four 200m repeats at your estimated mile pace, taking generous recovery. 

These may feel like just under all out sprinting if doing the first time or not used to running fast/short intervals.  When I first started running intervals, 25 seconds 100 m felt very fast, now can run 42-44 seconds 200s without straining too much (this is well under my mile pace BTW).

#artbydmcbride

How did those 44 second 200s compare to your mile pace?     So your intervals were at 5:50 pace and you ran the mile 6:48?    Is that usual?  Is that what I should expect my mile to be, about a minute slower than my 200 pace?   

Runners run

How did those 44 second 200s compare to your mile pace?     So your intervals were at 5:50 pace and you ran the mile 6:48?    Is that usual?  Is that what I should expect my mile to be, about a minute slower than my 200 pace?   

I am no expert running the mile (did it a grand total of 2 times). For me running the 200, the first 100 m or so feels easy,  with the last 50 I am just touching that 3rd/4th lap feel (after the 800 mark having to run 2 more laps at that pace terrified me, but it'll be all over soon enough).  

I feel I left a lot out on the recent Time trial and could have run it about 10 -15 seconds faster with more practice, but definitely not 5:50.  Like I said the 200's are under my mile pace.  I think my 400's tend to be about my mile pace (94-95 seconds). 

MTA, I think my point was if your target is 7 min mile, a 50 second 200 repeats may feel pretty fast if you have not run them recently, the second or third time, you could do them in under 45 seconds at the same effort.

#artbydmcbride

Thanks, Happyfeet, you are the best.  Smile

Runners run

MrH

Just to be clear ... I was not suggesting that you run the 200s faster than your mile pace. The idea is to get a little familiar with running relaxed at the turnover and mechanics you want to have in the mile ... so if you think you are in aerobic shape to run a 7 minute mile if everything goes well, then the 200m efforts would be around 52 seconds. This may feel slow in the race, particularly at the start as everyone else in the race goes out like a bat out of hell.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

#artbydmcbride

oh

Runners run

Ilene, here's a timely article from RW on doing a "harder" warmup:  

http://news.runnersworld.com/2012/08/10/more-support-for-aggresive-pre-race-warm-up/?cm_mmc=NL-TrainingExtra-_-1017096-_-08212012-_-Be-%27Aggressive%27

Good luck and enjoy