New Shoe Blues (Read 655 times)

Hey everyone, It is time to retire my Adistar Cushions I got in the summer. They are a great neatral cushioning shoe and I hate to let them go. It's hard to find the same model now, so I tried the new Air Pegasus which gave me a horrible pain in my heel after my first run with them. Then I tried the new model of the Adistar Cushion and I got horrible pain on the top of my foot after my first run. Both times I started light - only 3-4 miles with the new shoes, but then had to go back to the old Adistars and take time off to recover from injury. Is there a good way to prevent injury when switching to new shoes?? Thanks in advance for the advice!
      You shouldn't have to worry about preventing injury when switching to new shoes! Were you fitted by a good running store? When I get fitted for new running shoes, the salesperson watches me walk and brings out a few shoes -- I try them out on the TM or outside to see how they feel. new shoes shouldn't cause pain or injury!
      2009: BQ?

Prophet!

ditto to trishierunner - new shoes shouldn't cause pain or injury of they're the proper fit for you...have you tried the Asics Cumulus or the Nimbus ? I have the cumulus (for the extra width), excellent neutral cushion shoes if that's the type of shoes you need.
          Yeah, I have to admit - I didn't get fitted at a specialty running store for the new shoes. The Pegs were on super discount at a Foot Locker when I was at the mall one day and I decided to try them out because of all the great reviews I read. With the new Adistar cushions I thought they would fit similar to the old model, but I guess not quite. I've never had foot problems from shoes before, so this was a little surprising. I'm a little bit of a bigger runner (6'0", 185 lb) with high arches and I supinate slightly so that's why I stick with the neutral cushioned. I should probably just go to the local store and get a proper fitting.
            The pain at the top of the foot may be due to the laces being too tight? NB has a great website for alternative lacing solutions - depending on where you experience a problem. Here's the site:...I can't take credit for knowing about the site - I got it from this forum... http://www.newbalance.com/techcenter/footwear/lacing_for_a_better_fit.html I sometimes have a problem with lacing too tight - and tried their solution, which worked. If you haven't yet returned the shoes, might be owrth ba try. But I agree wight the other posts, too...specialty store fittings are worth it!
            Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
              The above is good advice. I would also advise to avoid Nike . I know some people will like it, but I've never felt they did running very well... My friend got hurt wearing Air Pegasus because they were not good shoes.
                Thanks for the great advice! I think I will avoid Nike from now on. I'm going to try the alternative lacing method on my Adistar Cushions. I've been icing and taking Advil all week, and the pain is just about gone - so hopefully with the new lacing technique I won't need to return these shoes too. Thanks again!
                JakeKnight

Thanks for the great advice! I think I will avoid Nike from now on. I'm going to try the alternative lacing method on my Adistar Cushions. I've been icing and taking Advil all week, and the pain is just about gone - so hopefully with the new lacing technique I won't need to return these shoes too. Thanks again!
                  Just to give a different perspective (no, I don't own stock in Nike), I've owned two pairs of Air Pegasus (Pegasi?) and put more than 1100 total miles on them, with no problem at all. Also worth noting that they frequently top the lists of the most durable make and model of shoes. For example: http://orthopedics.about.com/od/sportsinjuries/tp/durable.htm I'm also digging the new Air Equalons. Clunky and heavy, but I expect they'll be durable as hell, too. But whatever works for YOU, works for YOU. Nothing else matters. The shoe everyone loves is useless to you if it hurts you - and the shoe everyone hates is the one for you if it's what feels right.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                  -----------------------------