What other Brooks shoe compares with the Green Silence? (Read 1041 times)

dumrunner

I got a pair of Brooks Green Silence a few weeks back and I really like them. What other Brooks shoes would be similar in terms of weight, cushioning, drop, etc.? I'm thinking one of the Pure shoes.

Thanks.

xor

Actually, no, in terms of drop, Green Silence is very different from the Pure line.  Green Silence is old school in this respect, with a 10mm drop.  Pure stuff is more like 4-5.  Green Silence is a bit like the Brooks Racer (the racer without the "ST" in the name).  A bit.

dumrunner

Thank you srlopez, I'll check those out. 

Ganso

I think one of the Pure line is a next step after using Brooks Green. May be your musles will work a little bit different for a first time, but Pure line is awesome (as for me).

dumrunner

Thanks Ganso. I've been running in lower drop shoes for a little over a year now -- Altras, Inov-8, NB -- so moving to one of Pure shoes shouldn't be a problem. What I like mostly about the Green Silence is the extra bit of cushioning (as compared to my other shoes) combined with the light weight.

Having said that, I do wonder whether the higher drop of the Green Silence might be working for me. I tend to think of myself as a midfoot striker; maybe that little extra in the rear helps in some way. Not sure if this makes sense.

Anyways, thanks guys.

SMART Approach

I also really really like the Green Silence.  The Brooks T7 Racer is also a very good shoe and about an oz lighter and has around a 10mm heal to toe drop.

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpageMRS-BT7M1.html?gclid=CNS3ifr4qrICFYWo4AodLwsAjg

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Green Silence is being discontinued, so don't get too attached......    

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

xor

I suspect that's why the original question was asked.

I'm bummed... I really like that shoe.  It doesn't last that long for me, but for 40ish bucks, I haven't minded so much.

They are adding something called "Pure Drift" to the lineup. 

I used to love the Green Silence but now my favorite is the Pure Cadence.  Just bought my second pair.  I also rotate with the Ghost 5 and Ravenna 2 but I need to rotate out those old Ravennas at some point.  I'm getting more miles on my shoes now, though.  I think running in the dirt and grass when I can helps them and me.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

SMART Approach

Arrrggghhhh!!!   I guess I will be loading up on this one. Never fails when a shoe works for me, they get rid of it or change it.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

If the furnace is hot...

I used to love the Green Silence but now my favorite is the Pure Cadence.  Just bought my second pair. 

Love these too!

http://amzn.to/QjyzuC

Can't get enough of them, had back in January 2011 and haven't looked back since

Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows that it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle when the sun comes up you are still an animal in Africa and that kinda sucks.

I own the Green Silence and was disappointed to hear it will be discontinued. One of the great things about it is the low weight given a decent amount of cushioning, and the 8mm heel drop was a bit lower than "normal" but easy to transition into.

I am not a fan of the pure line. The connects were narrow / constricting and the flows are not firm enough, cushion overload  - I would liken it to running on marshmallows. And the weight is higher than the green silence despite being "minimal" (which they are not!). Being a Brooks fan, I wanted to like them I think they have taken a wrong turn here.

I would say there is no "equivalent" for Brooks but you may want to consider Saucony e.g. Kinvara.