Saucony Running Shoes (Read 289 times)

CMJHawk86

As alluded to earlier, a lot of us aren't all that brand-loyal. But some brands do work better than others. Most likely that's because a certain design element that is common throughout much of the brand works for some subset of us.

Saucony is one those brands for me, at least as far as their minimal (4mm heel drop or less) line goes. I am on my 5th pair of Kinvaras, and my 2nd pair of Mirages. I also have a pair Hattoris, but I haven't worn them much of late.

At the risk of making an excessively blanket-type statement, I find Saucony shoes to be firm and responsive, but less cushiony than the Brooks shoes which to me are the closest competitors, PureFlow and Pure Cadence (I have a pair each of those too, though they aren't in active rotation at the moment; just retired my old PureFlows).

The durability of Saucony vs. Brooks seems to be about the same in my experience.

I should mention those are hardly the only brands I have run in. I've got a closet full of racing flats, all manner of brands. Depending on the race course, or distance I pick and choose from Skechers, Saucony, Brooks, Nike, Spira, and New Balance. I am both a runner and a coach so I tend to accumulate shoes. Most I have gotten deeply discounted or even free. That said I have paid full price for Saucony in the past and I think their value for the price is very good.

50 YO, six figures, National Capital region.

For me, it's more about the specific model and version. I've been through many brands and models, and very few updates have worked for me. I've used Saucony Jazz in the way distant past because it fit me and worked for my level of running (sporadic jogger) at the time.

That said, my current shoe of choice is Saucony Xodus 3.0. I've got 3 pairs with 600+ miles (or close) and are still going. I've got two more pairs with low miles and 2 pairs unused. (4.0 doesn't work cuz of rocker)  Their toebox works for me. It has decent forefoot cushioning and rockplate. It's not perfect, but works well for me - after a drought of several years where no shoe worked well for me. It's a neutral shoe, but has a firm enough sole to provide the support where I need it - in the forefoot area. (In contrast, Adrenaline ASR - a stability shoe - has no support where I need it.)

When those wear out - I'll have to look  for something else - could be Saucony or any of the other brands.

(In various stages of disuse, I have Brooks, Mizuno, Altras, Hokas, Montrail, NB, and probably some others. Brooks worked for me for awhile until they narrowed the toebox.)

Demographics: 67F, retired, and I don't remember the other questions.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
      gdionelli

About to retire my 3rd pair of Saucony Mirage 2s. The 3s and 4s don't work for me - something about the fit in the toe box. I have a pair of the Cortana 4s on order - I'm hoping they will work, but I understand this is the last year for the Cortanas.

Female, 50s, Appalachia

Zelanie

I love Saucony running shoes.  I tried a few other brands when I was starting out, but have run exclusively in Sauconys for maybe 18 months.  The main reason for me is the fit.  I find the fit consistent across all of their models, so I can change models if I want a different heel-toe drop or amount of cushioning but still be confident in the fit I will get.  I have a long second toe, and that was a problem for me in other brands.  I know that Saucony is not known for having a big toebox, but for whatever reason the shape works for me.

My current go-to shoe is the Ride, and I use the Kinvara for speedwork.  I have also worn Virratas (but don't think I do well with zero-drop) and the Cortana (too expensive).  I also tend to buy last year's models as soon as they go on clearance. Smile

Female, 39, pacific NW, middle class dual income family

Plus, yeah, this kind of  is spam since you're not a regular participant on these forums and seem to have just set up an account for no other reason than to solicit help on your project but at least it's the fairly benign kind since  you're not selling anything.

This is a harmless thread that is is gaining feedback from people who run.  Relax.

I have run in one Saucony shoe in the last decade.  I tried the Mirage 3 for about 100 miles and donated them to a friend after trying (and failing to adjust to) lower-pitched shoes.  It had nothing to do with the comfort of the shoes, which I liked, but more that I probably should have instead gotten a pair of the Omnis instead.  I generally like Sauconys and the way they feel, but have rotated other brands since it has been that way for me for almost 9 years.  Their ad campaigns of late have gotten increasingly edgy ("Saucony: Get a Pair," "Runner's High: Still Legal in all 50 States," etc.) and they have really grown their business into the younger generation with the increased market share into cross country and track spikes (who would have thought that Saucony would make a very good sprinting spike?).

31 years old, white male, city of Milwaukee, "working class."

This is a harmless thread that is is gaining feedback from people who run.  Relax.

You know that "harmless" and "benign" are synonymous, right?

Runners run

Fruchtenstein

Had 3 pairs of Kinvaras (3, 4 and 5), enjoyed them all (except for, maybe, K4). And Peregrine3 for trails. All they were more durable than Asics and Mizuno I had had before that. Saucony is still my favorite brand, but now I'm beginning to look for something else. The reason is:

http://aerobia-eu.s3.amazonaws.com/photos/49318_DSC_0002_original.JPG?1406811778

http://aerobia-eu.s3.amazonaws.com/photos/49319_DSC_0004_original.JPG?1406811779

That's how all of them die. Next year I'm gonna try something like Altra Torin.

Male, 46, Russia, income in rubles won't say much Smile

You know that "harmless" and "benign" are synonymous, right?

Yes.

"Plus, yeah, this kind of is spam...at least it's the fairly benign kind since  you're not selling anything"

No need for ambiguity...if it is spam, call it spam.   If it isn't spam, why bring it up again?

Yes.

"Plus, yeah, this kind of is spam...at least it's the fairly benign kind since  you're not selling anything"

No need for ambiguity...if it is spam, call it spam.   If it isn't spam, why bring it up again?

Panties bunch up much?

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Panties bunch up much?

Way to keep it mature.

Getting back to the subject of this thread - my wife also wears Sauconys.  She has recently started running and is in her late 20s.  She has been in the Omni 12 and now is in the 13.  She likes how light they are and how much room they have in the middle of the last.  She initially was not crazy about the appearance (it looks a little bit like a platform shoe from the medial side), but likes how soft they are for being so lightweight.

That being said, like a lot of the others have said, that shoe happened to be the one that she liked the best last fall and now, but she is not brand loyal.  She also really liked the Mizuno Paradox and nearly went with those instead.  We have the luxury of a lot of choices in each category and if a shoe changes drastically in an update, most runners are willing to switch brands if necessary.

kaleidoscopeEyes

I'm not brand loyal either.   I run in Asics Nimbus and Cumulus, Brooks Glycerin, Nike Pegasus, Adidas Supernova, NB ### (can't remember).  My past 2 and current pair of shoes are Saucony Cohesion.   I chose them because they are a neutral trainer that get the job done well enough, and they are less than half the price of some of the other shoes I listed.

age - 37

race - not fast enough

location - Northeast

income - enough to have first world problems, not enough to not care about the price of running shoes