2014 New York City Marathon Thread (Read 532 times)

Julia1971

yes, yes, there are!

https://www.facebook.com/ASICSamerica/photos/a.215888311797220.70606.178054932247225/792091817510197/?type=1

OMG!  I can get a statue of my favorite person - MYSELF!  How did I miss this?  Guess what all my friends are getting for Christmas!

Edited to add: For once, I read the Terms and Conditions.  Looks like it's actually a contest:

OBJECTIVE: ASICS America Corporation (“ASICS&rdquoWink is giving runners of the NYCM a chance to memorialize their race and share their race progress with their supporters. ASICS is asking runners to submit photographs of themselves for the chance to be considered to have a mini statue of themselves made and to communicate their race progress via their personal Facebook page.

And:

6. Winning:

The first 500 Eligible Entries received and recorded during the Promotion Period will be chosen to participate in the program. ”Eligible entries” are those that complete the entire entry process via the site, follow all photo upload requirements identified herein, and include photos deemed usable by ASICS for the production requirements to create a statue.

I'm guessing the already have 500 since that's about 1% of the entrants.  Oh well. Guess my friends are getting donations to the Human Fund like always.

Docket_Rocket

It says while supplies last but it accepted my sample

pics so not sure if they will cut later or whether that means I was part of the first 500.  what do you have to lose?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Julia1971

It says while supplies last but it accepted my sample

pics so not sure if they will cut later or whether that means I was part of the first 500.  what do you have to lose?

No lie.  I'm watching a The Big Bang Theory episode where two of the guys buy action figures of themselves...  I don't know why I haven't done this already.

jfa

Julia, I think that I remember that last year, you were feeling good about your new Nike Flyknit shoes leading up to the NYCM. I have been running on Nike Free v3.0's for a long time and they feel similar. I was trying them out recently and am wondering how they hold up. Did they last long? How would you rate them?

Thanks in advance.

Julia1971

Julia, I think that I remember that last year, you were feeling good about your new Nike Flyknit shoes leading up to the NYCM. I have been running on Nike Free v3.0's for a long time and they feel similar. I was trying them out recently and am wondering how they hold up. Did they last long? How would you rate them?

Thanks in advance.

I was probably trying out new shoes last year - I didn't like the new Mizuno Wave Riders and spent forever trying to find a shoe I liked as much.  I've finally settled on the New Balance 890s.  But, I didn't try the Flyknit.  And, I can't remember who may have been.

Docket_Rocket

Hey, Julia, the NYCM FB page is still advertising the minimarathon dolls.  Go get one!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Julia1971

Hey, Julia, the NYCM FB page is still advertising the minimarathon dolls.  Go get one!

I'm going to skip this go around.  When I was reading the terms and conditions, I was also concerned about the part where they get to post on my FB wall during the race.  It's a neat idea, though.

EastRiverRunner

I'm running the NYCM again this year. Good luck to everyone running!

Goorun

Happy Birthday D

(It's Docket_Rocket's B-day)

Slow and steady never wins anything.

Goorun

On less happy note, I have problem with my left foot/ankle/Achilles. I slowly jogged a marathon on it two weeks ago(needed a BQ) and it was sore but OK. This is really bad time to cut down on my training. I should be around 120 mpw and I'll be barely over 70.

Slow and steady never wins anything.

On less happy note, I have problem with my left foot/ankle/Achilles. I slowly jogged a marathon on it two weeks ago(needed a BQ) and it was sore but OK. This is really bad time to cut down on my training. I should be around 120 mpw and I'll be barely over 70.

I hope no one minds too much that I'm popping in here for a quick note; I just saw this on the front page and must have missed it in L&O. I'm so sorry to read this, Goo. Sad  I hope you start feeling better...good healing thoughts coming your way.

Julia1971

Sorry about the injury.  Impressive that you still got a BQ on it, though.  Yes, very bad timing.  Do you have a diagnosis?  Anything you can do to help it heal or will it just be less running?

Welcome to all the new racers in the thread!

Docket_Rocket

Happy Birthday D

(It's Docket_Rocket's B-day)

Thanks!

My minimarathon doll has encountered some problems.  I submitted the pictures and they said one of them does not comply with the requirements so I have to submit again, sigh.  I don't even know if I have the time for this crap.

Anyway, 20 miles this morning in only 80-85F (that's 20F cooler than my usual runs).  Very happy to be sweating like a pig instead of sweating more than that, I guess.

Goo, I'm sorry to hear about the injury!  Hope it gets better soon!

Damaris

Fundraising Page

And we run because we like it
                              Through the broad bright land

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25