Training for too many things! (Read 550 times)

I am brand new to Running Ahead, but so far I like it. Getting advice from other runners is ideal. I think I've confused my body with what I am training for. I am training for the Broad Street run in May, and also a half-marathon relay in March, and a 5K in March. I've run 5K races before, but my goal is a 21 minute race and the best I've done so far is 23:30. With how I run, and what I'm in training for I'm not sure how much of what I should do each week - such as long, speed, easy, race pace runs. Any suggestions?? I also play on a co-ed soccer team one night a week, and wonder if that should be considered as one of my workouts or not. My day after soccer games runs have to be easy since my body is usually upset with me for all the aggressive moves that go with soccer. Has anyone ever run a half-marathon relay? This is new to me. I have NEVER run more than 5 miles at a time for a race so the 10 mile Broad Street will be a first for me.

Michelle

Generally speaking, a long run per week, a tempo run per week and an interval workout per week - mixed up with a couple easy runs per week - can help you train for races from 5k to 10mi and beyond. You can use the McMillan calculator to figure out your training paces: http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/Running%20University/Article%201/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

mikeymike

I agree, 5k and 10 mi training are not all that different. I would definitely consider soccer one workout a week so that would leave (for me who's a ninny and knows he can only handle 2 hard efforts per week) one other day per week to do a workout. So I guess, if it were me, I'd do 1 longish run with some race pace running built in, a 2nd longish run at an easy pace and a bunch of shorter easy runs, one of them with some strides. That plus soccer would likely be about what I could handle.

Runners run

Scout7

Broad Street is a good race, although the start is crowded, and bathrooms are an issue. As for the training, my suggestion is to decide which one is your "A" race. What do you consider your real goals? Is it the 21:00 5k, or is it doing well at Broad Street? I'd say it also depends on your running experience, and current training. But training for the 10 miler will certainly help with the 5k. My thoughts are train for the 10 miler, and use that as a base for developing speed for the 5k after. If you're interested in trail runs, check out Pretzel City Sports. They have a number of races that they do, so it's a good place for local runs. Any thoughts on working up to the Distance Run in Sept?
            I like the idea of counting soccer as one of my runs, since I am on an aggressive team, also, I do a slow 20 minute jog before to loosen up for the soccer game. I get to run full speed during soccer which is a great feeling, but tends to leave me a little sore the next day. I'm torn on which race to focus on between the 5k and the 10 mile. The Broad Street has been described to me as a casual fun race, with no need to really go for a record time. Since this is my first 10 mile race I like the thought of it being low key, but I would love to shock and amaze my friends and fellow runners by actually doing better than I thought I would. The 5k coming up is important because my husband is running with me and I CANNOT let him beat me!! The last two races we did together he beat me...and I think it bothered me a heck of a lot more than I let show. SO, this time I can't let him beat me. He only runs up to 5k for races so there's no threat with the 10 mile race. And on a personal note - I had told myself that I would be at 7 minute miles before I turned 35 - and that didn't happen...so now I have do better than that to make up for not reaching my goal in time. As for doing a distance race, I have never considered it but I might now. I am happy to have found that the time zips by when I do my long runs. I thank my ipod shuffle for that.

Michelle