New to running/jogging/loafing: where to learn? (Read 475 times)

quilt-n-run

This is how my husband runs when he is running with me. It helps him slow down so I can kind of keep up. Smile

Yeah running isn't easy for some people. My favorite is the guy in on my street who....

1. Looks like Coach K, the basketball coach for the dookies
    2. Runs with his shoulders high and tight
    3. Runs with absolutely no use of his hands. They just flop around like he can't even move them. Kinda reminds me of a 5 yearold prancing through a field of daisies.

Fighting cancer 60 Miles at a time. www.the3day.org/goto/mbailey2013

runnathon

Seems to me that if the OP actually wanted to make progress, s/he could have walked around the block enough times by now to have worked up to jogging... and , who knows, even running.

Maybe loafing is simply a higher form of procrastination.

adavis58

I would recommend searching the internet and finding a good couch to 5k (c25k) running program

Runners world and cool running are good places to start looking.

I would go to a local shoe store that specializes in running shoes and get yourself properly fitted with the right pair of running shoes.

You also need to modify your diet and eat properly.

You could join a running club or hire a running coach, but that is not necessary.

Art

http://fitatfifty-art.blogspot.com/

fimmx

You all are so nice! Smile Someone asks abt loafing and defends his question and you're still taking him seriously.

Brilliant

Jogging is what I see people in city parks and on trails doing, faster than walking, but slower than running. As far as I can tell, the form seems more like running than walking, but much more restrained, so an average person can do it for a long period of time. Running is what you see people do at tracks, in races, and when they are trying to get somewhere, or away from something, as fast as possible.

I keep coming back to this thread because it's hilarious.  But this quote above describes me to a "T", so I'm also feeling vaguely insulted that all this time I thought I was a runner but am only a jogger.

dontknowhow

So, I've been walking most days for about 50 minutes. I really don't see the point of it, honestly, as it doesn't seem to be doing anything to improve my condition or endurance. I DO stop when I'm at stoplights most days(and also jog across streets), so that might be considered "cheating", and I'm hoping that's not the reason I'm not making progress. To me it seems unlikely, since there are times when I can walk nonstop and it doesn't tire me out or make me breathe any harder.

Anyways, so I decided to try running again. Bad idea, maybe, since I haven't gotten any coaching, but I decided to give it a shot. So, I walk to the track at the local community college, and find out that it's only open to athletes. Well, I wasn't going to let that stop me. So, I set the timer on my cell phone for one minute, and started at it.

I couldn't make it 45 seconds.

So I walked the rest of the way home, started to compose this post, and decided to give it another shot on the street outside. I take off my pants and put on shorts, take my wallet out, set my phone for another minute, and start at it. This time I do a bit better, and I make it 50 seconds before stopping. I think I can run for a few seconds longer, going to give it another try at running for one minute later today. I think I'm just being lazy, and need to push myself harder. I don't want to be a bad person.

Also...what's the definition of "huffing and puffing"? I don't want to do that, and I'm out of  breath after every attempt at running. Could I tie some sort of mask on to limit my breathing to avoid this?

Or do you think I should just increase the length of my walks before trying to run again? I'm sure you know more than me, but I ask because it really seems like walks are doing nothing for me. I've started practicing fencing again as well(I used to in college), and I honestly think that's done a lot more for my endurance than the walking.

So, I've been walking most days for about 50 minutes. I really don't see the point of it, honestly, as it doesn't seem to be doing anything to improve my condition or endurance. I DO stop when I'm at stoplights most days(and also jog across streets), so that might be considered "cheating", and I'm hoping that's not the reason I'm not making progress. To me it seems unlikely, since there are times when I can walk nonstop and it doesn't tire me out or make me breathe any harder.

Anyways, so I decided to try running again. Bad idea, maybe, since I haven't gotten any coaching, but I decided to give it a shot. So, I walk to the track at the local community college, and find out that it's only open to athletes. Well, I wasn't going to let that stop me. So, I set the timer on my cell phone for one minute, and started at it.

I couldn't make it 45 seconds.

So I walked the rest of the way home, started to compose this post, and decided to give it another shot on the street outside. I take off my pants and put on shorts, take my wallet out, set my phone for another minute, and start at it. This time I do a bit better, and I make it 50 seconds before stopping. I think I can run for a few seconds longer, going to give it another try at running for one minute later today. I think I'm just being lazy, and need to push myself harder. I don't want to be a bad person.

Also...what's the definition of "huffing and puffing"? I don't want to do that, and I'm out of  breath after every attempt at running. Could I tie some sort of mask on to limit my breathing to avoid this?

Or do you think I should just increase the length of my walks before trying to run again? I'm sure you know more than me, but I ask because it really seems like walks are doing nothing for me. I've started practicing fencing again as well(I used to in college), and I honestly think that's done a lot more for my endurance than the walking.

Woah!  Slow down there, buckaroo!  Only the real pros run three times a day.  Or maybe those training for ultras or something.  Once or twice a day is pretty good.  You're likely to get injured if you keep up that frequency of running.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

dontknowhow

Woah!  Slow down there, buckaroo!  Only the real pros run three times a day.  Or maybe those training for ultras or something.  Once or twice a day is pretty good.  You're likely to get injured if you keep up that frequency of running.

Well, I can't even make it a minute without being out of breath, so I was figuring that that wasn't enough for it to be considered a "real" run.

meaghansketch

I know it's been suggested before, but I'll suggest it again:

Couch to 5K

It starts with intervals of 60 seconds jogging followed by 90 seconds walking.  If that's too much for you right now, reduce it-- Try intervals of 30 seconds jogging/90 seconds walking.  Jog a bit, walk a bit.

The program increases week by week so that over time you're jogging more and walking less.  Adjust to your level of fitness as much as you need to; some people repeat weeks if the progression is too much for them.

I know it's been suggested before, but I'll suggest it again:

Couch to 5K

It starts with intervals of 60 seconds jogging followed by 90 seconds walking.  If that's too much for you right now, reduce it-- Try intervals of 30 seconds jogging/90 seconds walking.  Jog a bit, walk a bit.

The program increases week by week so that over time you're jogging more and walking less.  Adjust to your level of fitness as much as you need to; some people repeat weeks if the progression is too much for them.

Where does the loafing come in?

Dave

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Where does the loafing come in?

Look for a 5K to Couch program.

nolamama

CQTM

Look for a 5K to Couch program.