How to Run A Great marathon - feedback on this instruction (Read 736 times)

shimizu

Hello
    I wrote an instruction on " How to Run A Great Marathon " and would like to share the URL link.
    This is for one of my class projects and I hope to get some feedback from RunningAHEAD readers on my instruction.

Here's the link to my instruction
    http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Run-A-Great-Marathon/?ALLSTEPS

Thank you so much in advance.

Please let me know what you like or don't like about on this instruction.

Thanks so much!

Hello
      I wrote an instruction on " How to Run A Great Marathon " and would like to share the URL link.
      This is for one of my class projects and I hope to get some feedback from RunningAHEAD readers on my instruction.

Here's the link to my instruction
      http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Run-A-Great-Marathon/?ALLSTEPS

Thank you so much in advance.

Please let me know what you like or don't like about on this instruction.

Thanks so much!

Shimizu-san:

I'll chip in.  Pretty good job, I'm actually quite impressed.  It's good to put together everything that you've learnt, isn't it?  But here are some of my honest input.  

4. Appropriate shoes...  I'm sorry but that website you had included is not that impressive at all--in fact, I think it's nothing more than what you would expect from any running store clerk; based on the "manuals".  You might have noticed, especially since you've used the term "minimalist" elsewhere, it is sort of a cross-road right now that people had started to talk a lot about "proper" running style and "proper" footwear to go along with it.  I personally don't run barefoot; I wear more or less minimalist shoes but not necessarily always.  But to simply roll over what the running shoe manuals of 1990s from right to left is not necessarily a good idea.  If you don't quite understand, you should probably leave it blank or go very generic.  To site a "wrong" website is not quite recommendable.  You seem to do well with more minimalistic type shoes; why recommend the site that first shows one of the most bulky and inflexible shoes in the history of athletic shoes on the top?  

Step 3: Pre-race Preparation...  Likewise, I would not recommend classic carbo-loading to seemingly the audience that you're introducing your "guide" to.  Classic carbo-loading you're talking about was introduced to running in early 1970s.  But very quickly people realized that the depletion phase was way too demanding to the body and even a bit risky in a sense that your immune system tends to go down and you'll be more susceptible to cold and other inflammation during this period.  Most people today, I believe, simply load up carb without the depletion phase.  Also, for most of the audience that you would expect, "90-minutes of exhausting workout" 1 week before would be waaaaay too much.   As you had pointed out, eating lots of carb several days leading up to the race most probably suffice.  Actually I would suggest you include to suggest "honey" as well because honey is very rich with carb with all the necessary vitamins and minerals along with it without bulk of potato and pasta.  I would usually recommend taking honey and also start hydrating yourself Thursday before Sunday race; so 4 days before instead of just 2.  I guess you are not quite "recommending" this classic carbo-loading but then you shouldn't list up in detail like you did....

Step 10: After You Finish...  A VERY good idea to include post-race fueling here!!  Good job!  

And a good picture of Jena.  Are you in Twin Cities area?  3:09 is very respectable; great job!  You look very good at the finish; maintaining a very good form.  Congratulations.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Job well done!

I am a little surprised Nobby did not take issue with the 1-2 week taper.

Your friends and running buddies will be very supportive throughout your training and will be on the course to cheer for you. Running buddies, maybe. Friends not likely.  90% of the population will think you have lost your mind. 

Nobby, wish I had known about the honey 30 + marathons ago.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/