Garmin 620 Upload to RunningAhead (Read 149 times)

BoulderMike

I am sure this has been asked before, but since my new Garmin 620 doesn't have an Ant+ stick, and you don't support Garmin Connect, how do I upload data from the 620 to RunningAhead?  Thanks!

How do you charge it your watch? My 620 Came with a charger that has a USB Type end and I just plug it in and upload it to running ahead like any other device.

BoulderMike

Thanks, I did notice it connected, so I am good there.  But, my next question is that it looks like to connect via wi-fi I need to load Garmin Express.  If I did that RunningAhead wouldn't work, correct?  If that is the case, am I not able to use Wi-Fi if I want to continue using RunningAhead.  Thanks for the help.

bluerun

Super B****

I'm not quite sure how it works, I just know that it does -- I uninstalled Garmin Express since I couldn't upload to RA.  Somehow, when I plug in the 620, it still transfers to Garmin Connect as well as RA.  Not asking any questions!

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

BoulderMike

Makes sense, but do you know how I can use the 620 with wi-fi and still upload to RunningAhead when wi-fi requires Garmin Express?  Thanks!

bluerun

Super B****

No idea about that, sorry... I was excited about the Wifi feature but I never use it!

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

BoulderMike

NP - tks!

eric :)

Hi BoulderMike,

Wifi does not work with RA because the 620 can only connect to connect.garmin.com.  The only way to upload to RA is to use the USB cable.

eric Smile

BoulderMike

Hi Eric - thanks for the reply.  I guess though that even if I upload to RA using the usb cradle, I can't load Garmin Express for setting up Wi-Fi because then even using the usb cradle wouldn't work?

eric :)

Unless you're using advanced features such as pre-loading maps, you won't need Garmin Express.  The presence of Garmin Express prevents your GPS from communicating with your computer via the cradle.

eric Smile

kcam

Unless you're using advanced features such as pre-loading maps, you won't need Garmin Express.  The presence of Garmin Express prevents your GPS from communicating with your computer via the cradle.

eric Smile

Not to contradict this statement but I've found that I can still upload to RA using the USB cradle (Garmin FR220) even with Express installed.  The 220 and 620 are same-generation watches, with the 220 having some features stripped out.  I keep Express around for the sole purpose of downloading S/W updates to the 220 (only way to do it).  If it was a problem I'd just install Express, use it for what I needeed, and then uninstall it.

BoulderMike

Thanks, that does seem like it should work.  I appreciate the help.

Wifi does not work with RA because the 620 can only connect to connect.garmin.com.  The only way to upload to RA is to use the USB cable.

Hi Eric,

Just curious about this statement. I can upload workouts if I connect my 620 via the USB cable ... but I have to upload each workout manually (the *.fit files remain on the device's [EUndecidedGARMIN\ACTIVITIES] folder). Is there a way to use the USB and have the upload be as automatic as it was with my old 310XT?

I vaguely recall you posting that RA looked to a specific folder on the computer's drive, but I can't remember the file path. I can work with a halfway-automatic solution, too, if it's a matter of my copying files from the device to a location that RA looks to.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Hi Eric,

Just curious about this statement. I can upload workouts if I connect my 620 via the USB cable ... but I have to upload each workout manually (the *.fit files remain on the device's [EUndecidedGARMIN\ACTIVITIES] folder). Is there a way to use the USB and have the upload be as automatic as it was with my old 310XT?

I vaguely recall you posting that RA looked to a specific folder on the computer's drive, but I can't remember the file path. I can work with a halfway-automatic solution, too, if it's a matter of my copying files from the device to a location that RA looks to.

Do you have the Garmin Communicator plugin loaded on your computer? I don't know if there's a difference between the 220 and 620 USB connection, but I got a 220 for Christmas and plugged it in and RA saw it just fine.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

It had never uploaded when I connected it to the computer via the USB ... until last night. Weird, since I've made zero changes to the computer since the later of AUG2013 or whenever I got the FR620.

It only showed the two most recent workouts, but apparently it uploaded all of the new ones anyway. Sweet!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau