First 5K (Read 1845 times)

My advice is to have fun.  If there is a crowd, pretend everyone is there just for you.  If there isn't a crowd, pretend like there is a crowd and it's there just for you.   No matter what, you will have a Personal Record that you will feel compelled to break later.   But go out and have fun, have fun, have fun!!!!  If we dont have fun, why would we continue?

As for the tp, I have been the port-o-potty inspector for several races.  You are a 38 y.o. male and I'm a 49 y.o. woman who has given birth.  I don't think you'll need tp for a 5K but you know yourself better than I do..  Never a bad idea to have.  I love your idea of having friends roll it out so you can break the tape!  {Dang, I may steal that idea next week. What a great idea!}  Congrats on your first 5k and let us know how it went.

Rookie Runner

For the record, the TP question was rhetorical... but I still like the idea of using it at the finish line to break the tape.

I ran a traning 5K last night.  Indoor (boo!  hiss!) due to thunderstorms and a tornado watch in the area.  The indoor track I run is 200m.  I couldn't believe the shot of adrenaline I got on the 2nd half of the 25th lap.  I didn't even think about it.  My legs just took off.

Goal time was 34:00 flat.  Came in at 33:36.  Sunday's goal is definitely not that fast due to it being a hilly course, and likely muddy conditions.  Sunday's goal, rather, is not to end up face first in the mud!

[...] likely muddy conditions. [...]

Sounds like another reason to bring the TP?

sluggo

John

Good luck on your first race!

My prediction on what to expect? You will start too fast and find yourself sucking wind and walking at 1.5 or 2.0 mi. I started running twice (with a 20 yr break) and this happened to me both times. Never-the-less, it is no big deal. It will be a lesson learned and you will be better prepared for the next race.

(BTW - I STILL start all of my races too fast. I might learn someday.)

John
          www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"

My prediction on what to expect? You will start too fast and find yourself sucking wind and walking at 1.5 or 2.0 mi. I started running twice (with a 20 yr break) and this happened to me both times. Never-the-less, it is no big deal. It will be a lesson learned and you will be better prepared for the next race.

Wow, sluggo....way to encourage a first-timer. 

sluggo

John

Wow, sluggo....way to encourage a first-timer. 

You are correct - I was overly negative.

Please forgive me jmpopovic. Chances are you will be smarter than I was on your first race. Go into it, keep your head, and smell the roses. You should be fine. I am looking forward to your race report too.

John

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Rookie Runner

Woohoo!  I did it!  Ran the whole thing (I had my doubts while driving to the race).  Probably could have pushed myself harder, but played it safe (smart?) since it was my first race, and I didn't want to burn myself out before the finish.  My goal time was 38:00, given course difficulty and conditions (wasn't as muddy as I expected), and finished in 37:00.2.  Timing was not done by chip, so I'd say I was maybe 10 seconds faster as I was back in the pack to start.

Thanks everyone, for your help and support!

sluggo

John

Woohoo!  I did it!  Ran the whole thing (I had my doubts while driving to the race).  Probably could have pushed myself harder, but played it safe (smart?) since it was my first race, and I didn't want to burn myself out before the finish.  My goal time was 38:00, given course difficulty and conditions (wasn't as muddy as I expected), and finished in 37:00.2.  Timing was not done by chip, so I'd say I was maybe 10 seconds faster as I was back in the pack to start.

Thanks everyone, for your help and support!

Congrats! Sounds like you ran a smart race to me. Run within your limits and keep on going is always a decent plan.

Thanks for the report.

John

keeponrunning

Great job!!!  Be sure to plan other races to keep yourself motivated!

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

Rookie Runner

I'm registered for another 5K in two weeks.  Very flat course,  I'm expecting a significantly better time, but still, no complaints about today.

MTA - the next run I'm doing is for Pirates Charities (that's the Pittsburgh Pirates -- a so-called professional baseball team).  The finish line is home plate at PNC Park.  I was considering finishing the race by sliding in head-first, but I bet it's a chip-timed race, and my chip will be on my shoe, so head-first doesn't work for the best time possible.

That's the spirit!  keep it moving forward!   next race sounds like a blast.   go ahead & slide into home plate, just make sure you don't come up short!   and congrats on your performance in your 1st 5k & bettering your goal time.

Rookie Runner

I forgot to report the most important thing:  I didn't need TP  Smile

jmp, I'm late in checking in but congratulations!!!!!  Sounds like you are hooked.  Hope your next race was even more fun.  Boy, I'd love to finish a race at home plate in a stadium!