Vegetarians and supplements (Read 946 times)

I've been vegetarian for 15 years and get my B12 along with iron and all other levels checked once every couple of years when I get a check-up. Not that the doctor has any concern (the last one I saw, didn't even know I was vegetarian), but it seems part of the routine. Never was there any signs of low B12 levels or any other thing for that matter which is quite boring for doctors Wink Before my daughter was born, I did quite a bit of research on vegetarian nutrition including B12 deficiency, and found out there are more questions than answers regarding that vitamin, where we get it from and how it's absorbed. The amount of B12 one needs are minuscule. If you do eat dairy and eggs you should be getting enough B12. Most soy milk drinks are also fortified with B12. I've known vegans that never took any supplements and never had any deficiency. This happens often and you'll often see studies trying to figure out where they're getting their B12 from. Some suggest that the body or bacteria in the body produces it, some think that it could come from eating vegetables that have not been washed well. B12 is exclusively produced by microorganisms/bacteria, cows and other animals get their B12 from microorganisms that's on their food (their vegan after all). One thing that I often read is that people that have B12 deficiency are usually people that have trouble absorbing it. A few years later, to prove the point, my father was diagnosed with B12 deficiency and now has to get a shot every month yet he never was vegetarian or even close! But looking at what you're eating is getting me a bit worried. Not about B12 but more about everything else: iron, B vitamins, zinc, protein, etc. I would mix in things such as beans or lentils, fruit and dark green leafy vegetables like chard and skip the trail mix, I find it to be much too high in calories for its nutritional value. - R
      I wouldn't recommend butter or margarine. But, I would recommend butter over margarine. Just limit it. Trans fats in margarine are horrible.
      It depends on the brand you buy, look for non-hydrogenated margarine. - R
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants. Margarine is not food. It is some strange manufactured substance wherein a liquid is made to act as a solid, not really the sort of thing I want to put in my body. Butter is food. Eat butter. Not too much. Avoid margarine.
          Back when I was in A-Level chemistry ( I was 17 about 1987) we did a unit on how they make margarine and saturate the bonds to in a vegetable oil to form a solid. I couldn't understand why that would be any better than butter. I asked my dad who worked with polymers and he couldn't explain why chemically induced saturated bonds would be better than natural ones. This was right when doctors were pushing margarine, and my mum had pretty much banned butter. I never ate margarine again (and you simply can't make scottish shortbread with margarine, butter's the only why to go) as I didn't get how it was suposed to benefit you. My husband is a vegetarian and has never had any B12 or iron problems - he does eat significant animal protein though - cheese mainly. One of my coworkers is a very strict vegan and no problems there either. However, people worry all the time that they must be sick/tired/vitamin deficent. This is better now than in the 90's though.
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I couldn't understand why that would be any better than butter.
            The answer is cholesterol. Butter has it. Margarine does not. We have a deep seated fear of cholesterol, some of which is science-based, but most of which is policy and advocacy-based. Some cholesterol is good, even helpful, in most people. A little cholesterol is always less harmful than a little transfat. The more we engineer "food" away from its natural sources, the more we distance our diet from what we were evolved/designed to eat. And this has a great potential for causing harm.
              Margarine is also cheaper, which is why I buy it. Anyways, thanks for the B12 related advice everyone. I will ask my doctor next time I am in whether I should be tested as deficient, since I don't get much animal protien, and if I should consider the shots. I also like the idea of waking up at 4 am with lots of energy, even it is a placebo effect : )
                The answer is cholesterol. Butter has it. Margarine does not.quote> Back then in the UK the main focus was on saturated versus unsaturated fats. Never thought about the cholesterol. I do think going off with the idea that the less processed a food the better was a good one, as you said.
                Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Margarine is also cheaper, which is why I buy it.
                  Are you factoring in the cost of the heart attack? Wink

skinnycaponesugar

I'd use half the amount of butter, if I were concerned about the cost. Olive oil is also nice on toast... Smile For cooking I use a bit of coconut butter, a jar of the stuff lasts a long time... If margarine has only 50% the amount of fat as butter, you have to wonder what the other 50% is . Wink

Love, Run, Sleep

I'm a big fan of Smart Balance Buttery Spread Now With Flax Oil. Pollan wouldn't approve because it's a functional food, but basically it's a "margarine" made out of a blend of poly and monounsaturated oils. The light version only has 50 calorie per serving.
                      "On most days, run easy. On some days, run hard. But not too hard."
                        I'd use half the amount of butter, if I were concerned about the cost.
                        Half the amount does not adequately soak my popcorn! haha Anyways, I will let you guys know when I am hospitalized for my margarine induced heart attack. Take care.