an article for your friends who fear running (Read 314 times)

Yet more ammo in the "no really, running is good for you" bucket, for your skeptical friends who think your form of exercise, while good cardiovascularly, is bad for you structurally:

http://nyti.ms/1dxMVpm

The takeaway - high impact is great for your bones if your body is in a well enough state to handle it (they cite that running faster than 10 min/mile will do the trick). As someone who comes from a line of women who develop osteoporosis, I like this news.

How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives.
    Read more at http://quotes.dictionary.com/How_we_spend_our_days_is_of_course#6d0u8XhbCX1joSM7.99

Read more at http://quotes.dictionary.com/How_we_spend_our_days_is_of_course#6d0u8XhbCX1joSM7.99

"How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives."

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

Gee, just what I love to read the day I hear I may have rebroken my femur, which I stress-fractured six months ago.  Four major injuries in a single year of moderate training and moderate mileage (most recently, 1 speed day a week and no more than 31.5 miles in a week) say running ain't healthy for everyone.

Thanks.  Really, it's so good to know how healthy it is to run when right now (once again) I can't even walk to the bus without incredible pain.

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

Hip Redux

Gee, just what I love to read the day I hear I may have rebroken my femur, which I stress-fractured six months ago.  Four major injuries in a single year of moderate training and moderate mileage (most recently, 1 speed day a week and no more than 31.5 miles in a week) say running ain't healthy for everyone.

Thanks.  Really, it's so good to know how healthy it is to run when right now (once again) I can't even walk to the bus without incredible pain.

Oh no Sad   I was hoping that since we hadn't seen you in the injury thread that you were back to 100% again!  Sorry to hear you are dealing with this.

It is possible you have something else going on that is attributing to your injuries. Stability? Muscle weakness? Imbalance? Diet?

Every sport has their chance of injury, but IMO the risk/rewards far exceeds what happens if you do no exercise at all.

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

No.  My diet is stellar (I track every nutrient religiously and always exceed the minimums of vitamins and minerals, as well as supplementing D and calcium... the only mistake I may make is eating SLIGHTLY too much protein, i.e. 8 grams per day over my goal).  Muscle weakness?  That's hilarious, I strength-train more, and with more knowledge, than most runners I know; I've had a PT tell me there was no point in coming to see her because I was doing everything right.

As for my recent training, I am in the hands of a coach who works largely with injury-prone runners and has overseen my training meticulously and conservatively, with plenty of rest days and mostly slow, easy runs with speedwork mostly once per week.  Mileage increase was exceedingly gradual.  Many runs done on the treadmill at a gentle pace, but mixed in with different routes outdoors.

It is true that I have been very fatigued and weak during some runs, perhaps due to a slight (but it's very slight) calorie deficit as I try to return to race weight, which I suppose is laughable since I doubt I'll ever race again. Perhaps this weakness contributed to poor recovery.  But the level of fatigue and weakness on a reasonable amount of food doesn't seem right either; I think it's due to the birth control I'm on... specifically to preserve bone mass and aid in bone healing. That's about all I've got.

Sorry to threadjack.  I just can't believe people don't think running can be harmful.  I'm not saying it's the only exercise in the world, but there's a reason people invented the elliptical, there's a reason people swim, there's a reason people cycle or whatever or just WALK to stay healthy... running is really not healthy.  Personally, I never pretended it was.

It is possible you have something else going on that is attributing to your injuries. Stability? Muscle weakness? Imbalance? Diet?

Every sport has their chance of injury, but IMO the risk/rewards far exceeds what happens if you do no exercise at all.

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

double post

joescott

If I didn't run, I probably wouldn't exercise.  I certainly wouldn't exercise nearly as intensely or as much.  If I didn't exercise, I know I would weigh at least 35 pounds more than I do now (because that's how overweight I was when I started about 13 years ago).  I also know I would have high cholesterol and probably would have to be on some kind of drugs for that.

Using my single data point running is exceptionally healthy.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Sorry to threadjack.  I just can't believe people don't think running can be harmful.  I'm not saying it's the only exercise in the world, but there's a reason people invented the elliptical, there's a reason people swim, there's a reason people cycle or whatever or just WALK to stay healthy... running is really not healthy.  Personally, I never pretended it was.

Of course running can be harmful. Nearly every form of exercise is or can be.

However, not getting any exercise is worse than an occasional running injury.   I'm saying this in the context that I was injured from about 1995 until 208 with calf injuries due to running. Also, most of 2013 was a bust due to knee and hamstring injury, also caused by running. But, I love to run and always try to get back at it. Mostly because I don't enjoy things like cycling or swimming. And, the elliptical just doesn't do it for me.  As Joe said, when not running, I was quite a bit heavier and much less healthier over-all.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

That's not why people swim.

(NB: I revised this later)

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

That's not why people swim.

to keep from drowning, yes? Running... to get away from the bad guy. Cycling... same as running. Elliptical... no good reason. Curling, same as lawn darts and corn hole -- to socialize during backyard parties.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

And this is why people treadmill, right?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Sorry to hear what you're going through! I don't think this article or any other running science has claimed that running is never harmful. Science always makes generalizations across large groups of people, so I hear ya that it can be a pain to hear it go against your personal experience as someone outside the average of the test population. As a nerdy person I just like having studies to back me up against people making faulty generalizations. Wishing you speedy healing and that you figure out why this keeps happening to you,

"How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives."

Then maybe RunningAhead dot com isn't the best place to be spending your time.

Runners run

jfa

But it sounds like you're bitter about NOT being able to run. Perhaps those other forms of exercise will be better for you.

Latent Runner

Sorry, I have to disagree with your premis that "running is really not healthy."  I firmly believe there is no healthier exersise known to the human race.  Can one get injured by falling into the trap of TFFFS (Too Fast, too Far, too Frequently, too Soon) for that individual's current level of conditioning?  Yes.  That said, the human body evolved to run, and from a biomechanical perspective, no other form of exercise, be it walking, swimming, elliptical, or pumping iron, is as effective as running when it comes to the health of the individual.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
                                • 2-mile: 13:49
                                • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
                                • 5-Mile: 37:24
                                • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
                                • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
                                • Half Marathon: 1:42:13