Underpants (Read 898 times)

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I usually run in my cotton boxers under a pair of umbros.  The advantage is that I have lots of boxers, so after each run I throw them in for the week's laundry.  I only have 2 pair of shorts, so I use them all week.  This is a hygienic and cheap solution and now that I use body-glide I don't have chaffing problems, until very late in my 18mi runs.

I recently went to buy another pair of shorts and noticed almost all the running shorts available had an inner lining like swim-trunks.  This would be incompatible with my boxers. Before I go and cut it out, I'm wondering what other men do.

Do you own a pair of shorts for every run of the week ($$$) and use the inner-lining as underwear -- and I'd think wash them between uses.

Or do you wear something else under the inner-lining?  I've seen people wear compression shorts under normal shorts.  But that still leaves open the question of whether they just own 5 pair of compression shorts for the week's runs.

Or do you guys just cut out the lining and free-ball it?

2014 Goals:  sub-3 Marathon 

Current Status 11/10: Back to building up miles.  Junk feels mostly okay.  Kinda.

hairshirt knitter

I have enough shorts to wear a clean pair for each run - there are four of us in the house and a wash goes on most days. It's been a while since I had shorts on though, as it definitely longs weather, and I don't have enough pairs of those...

I run in running shorts, using the brief as ... a brief.  I have enough pairs to last at least a week, and I do laundry every weekend.

Seriously, while shorts can be ridiculously expensive, you can also get them for quite little money.  E.g., Brooks Podium shorts are $14.88 at RunningWarehouse right now (and many know how to get another 15% discount on top of that).

“Everything you need is already inside.” -- Bill Bowerman

Seriously? I run in running shorts with a liner. I own like 5 pair of running shorts and they are inexpensive and last years.

Runners run.

vegefrog

I know this is a thread for the men but, the title captured my interest..

my running buddy is a guy and one day when we were texting back and forth about our meet time he texted me "black underpants".

LOL. Now he is married with 2 kids, I'm married...so it was obviously not a text meant for me. I let it go, and shortly afterwards he texted me an apology telling me that was meant for his wife. I guess she was worried he was gonna wear his loose running shorts and "free ball it" thus letting his junk be visible on our run and I don't know...maybe I would enjoy that?? haha. So...I know that he wears black brief underpants under his running shorts!! Its now our ongoing joke, I always ask him if he has his black underpants on when we run Sundays Smile

And here I thought girls were the only ones with shorts/pants/tights issues!!

ultramarathon/triathlete

I have six or eight pairs of running shorts, all with liners. Two workouts a day= frequent laundry. I actually have a separate clothes bin for the workout clothes. My wife runs (and cycles) with underwear under her shorts. I think that's weird.

HTFU?  Why not!

Coach: Empire Tri Club 

Speed Coach: Brooklyn Tri Club
              USATF Coach

I have a couple of pairs of shorts with the liners, but I don't wear them for long runs 'cause they tend to chafe.  Clean briefs with any other shorts/pants.  I haven't bought shorts in a while.  I'll be annoyed if I can't find them without the liners.

Well at least someone here is making relevance to the subject.