The point of a plan is... ? (Read 902 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

You know, I've thought about the plan vs no plan quite a bit, too, and I'd say that a plan was just what I needed as I got into running. Not having the comfort level of "running knowledge" that I'd like to have, it was easier to look up the day on a plan and then go do it. No thinking required. Only running. Now I'm 4 months or so into this lifestyle. I've done the Couch to 5k and next week will finish up the One Hour Runner. I'll have a base somewhere near 200 miles and the thought of running without a structured plan doesn't scare me anymore. I know I'll run just for the pure satisfaction of running. Of course, I'll probably still use a plan cuz I don't always like to think. Undecided

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

For me running is both a way of life and a hobby. The way of life thing, gets me out the door and feeling good about the exercise. Thats is the important part. Working with plans is the hobby part for me. I devise my own based on others and what I have read here and other places and my own experiences (good and bad). I target goal mileage, and distribution of mileage for base/easy running, some faster running and some longer running. I track my progress and then tinker with it, read about how others approach it, and tinker some more. I realize the time I spend on my spreadsheets aren't making me faster. I know plenty of people who never logged a mile on a spreadsheet, or even know their weekly mileage or paces,,, and they beat my times in races. But the subject of plans and tracking my runs interests me, so I spend time with it and so that is the point of a plan for me: a hobby.
      C-R

Interesting question since we are currently in "budget" season at work. What I remind myself and others is that the budget/plan is a best effort based on available data to accomplish some goals. It needs some flexibility and is something to provide context when comparing performance. That being said, my running plans are much the same. I don't know enough to really put together a "peak performance" plan but I take one of the "canned" plans and work it into my routine. It gives me a starting point and something to guide. For instance, right now I'm using Higdon Intermediate 2 for my marathon training. If you look at my log, you'll see I am not following it to the letter but it helps me keep focused. No more no less. For me a plan is like a road map. You can get from Indianapolis to Chicago a myriad of ways so I pick one that seems best at the time and can be changed based on conditions.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

I was obviously thinking of plans in much too strict terms. I was really only thinking of the handed-down professional plans. You're right Ennay; what I described was as much a plan as a cookie-cutter magazine plan. I tinker with spreadsheets a lot too, andre, and I've certainly used both C25k and OHR as crutches for motivation and to keep from having to think too much. I haven't thought of myself as "on a plan" since finishing OHR in Nov'07, but I've been trying to incorporate what I learn here, and I guess I do plan things pretty carefully. Thanks for all the input, folks.
          Brandon