Resting heart rate and over training (Read 194 times)

pedaling fool

I have a heart rate monitor and use it sometimes, but more out of curiosity then as a guide. For me it is how hard am I breathing. Those that mention talking while you're running hit the nail on the head. If you can carry on a conversation you' re golden.

I agree with this with respect to using HR monitors. I started out w/o a monitor and simply trained by the rule-of-thumb about carrying on a coversation while training. However, I got one a few years ago just out of curiosity and that's when I noticed that my feeling-good pace had me at a much higher HR than I should be at based on all the formulae. However, after reading up on it, especially that NYT article I linked above, I learned that that forumla was never intended to be standard.

I haven't used a HR monitor for a couple years now, since my battery died, but after reading this thread I got curious so I replaced the battery and went for a run today and I noticed that while my feel-good pace has increased significantly, i.e. my minutes per mile pace, my HR is basically the same around 150-160 bpm, but I'm much faster. I also got up to 185bpm today during the run and that wasn't even max, i.e. I was a little uncomfortable, but not huffing and puffing. According to all the different formulae out there my max HR should be somewhere between 170-176 (I'm a 49y/o male).

I was also pleased that my HR dropped very quickly after stopping (as mentioned in the NYT article I linked above).

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

To stop the knee twinges I focus on my form and cadence (am able to do 200spm in the first 20m of the run and 180 in the last ten when I'm getting tired.)

From what I have read in many places, regarding cadence, 180 steps per minute is often considered ideal for distance running. 200spm is likely too fast. However, as a new runner, perhaps you should not worry about this yet either.

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

Latent Runner

I too have read numerous studies which report that 180 strides per minute is optimal, 200 is just too high to be efficient.

From a personal perspective, it really drives me crazy to be within hearing distance of a runner using a high cadence; to me at least, the sound of their running is as blasphemous to my ears as a non-believer telling a religiously devout individual there is no god.

True story, this last September I was in the midst of my 4th leg of the RTB-NH relay (a very hilly 6.8 mile route) when a guy running his second leg (I could tell by his race number) caught up with me and then passed me on a hill all while running at a 200+ cadence.  Geez was I annoyed.  I caught back up with him on the next decent, stayed with him on the flat which followed, and then as we started climbing again he initially started pulling away from me again before he suddenly slowed to a walk.  I passed him and kept the hammer down for the next 4+ miles to the transition area, all the while my mind kept replaying the sound of his high step rate (either that or he had caught back up with me and I was hearing his actual steps).  In a way, as annoying as it was to my ears to hear him run, I owe him a bit of thanks for spurring me into running at a better pace than I otherwise would have. 

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
        • 2-mile: 13:49
        • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
        • 5-Mile: 37:24
        • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
        • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
        • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

n a way, as annoying as it was to my ears to hear him run, I owe him a bit of thanks for spurring me into running at a better pace than I otherwise would have. 

Shipo, I'll bet listening to his cadence caused you to increase yours. Speaking of foot slap, it always annoys me when I hear runners that slap the ground with their feet. I suppose that is just how some people run. Me... I try to be a ninja and pass people without them even hearing me coming. I've surprised a few dogs in the park who were intent on the smells - which always makes me a little nervous that they don't seem to hear me rapidly approaching them from behind - I don't want to get bit again.

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental