Paleo (Read 1215 times)

A Saucy Wench

Thanks for the information. The only problem that scares me to go back to a more variety of food intake is how my body is not use to processing the grains and such. I feel like I would need to start in small doses so my body doesn't go crazy if I decide to do it.

OK....this would have been useful in the first post.  You are already ON paleo, which is a whole different question than "cutting out grains" .  Your original post sounded like a runner trying to go paleo rather than a paleo trying to run

If it is currently working for you then get Paleo for athletes and read that.  Basically it is taking the paleo diet and increasing the carbohydrate portion of your diet with fruit and sweetpotatoes.  If you are ALREADY a follower of MDA, then you know some people find that additionally adding white rice and potatoes does not affect them. 

And seriously.  Just run.  If you dont have enough energy, add some carbs.  We arent cookie cutters.  Even if I said IT WORKS GREAT! for me it doesnt mean jackshit about how it will work for you.

(it did NOT work great for me, Paleo nearly put me in the hospital but that had nothing to do with running on paleo - clearly a different starting point)

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

And seriously.  Just run.  If you dont have enough energy, add some carbs.  We arent cookie cutters.  Even if I said IT WORKS GREAT! for me it doesnt mean jackshit about how it will work for you.

This is why I am asking if someone has ever gone of strick paleo and started incorporating grains and such. I know everyone is different, but if you have been on strict Paleo for a long time you just can't eating a crap load of grains, starches, rice, etc. I'm wondering what their performace was like after and how they felt.

Being on a higher level than imaginable to the human race...

A Saucy Wench

I was strict paleo for 4 months and I was getting frequent painful gall/pancreas attacks that were becoming more and more frequent and intense so I went back.  I eat everything now.  My experience is clearly not relevant to someone who did well on the diet.

My question is what does running have to do with incorporating grains? Nothing.  I ran well without grains. I ran well with grains.   What makes you think you have to incorporate craploads of grains to run?  Dont put the cart before the horse.  If you want to start running, start running, if it isnt working slowly increase carbs. 

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Will do. Thanks for the help.

Scout7

Thanks you for your response. I would love to learn further about Paleo and endurance (Long distance running, etc)  type activity so that website would be great. Like I said before, I have been eating Paleo and doing crossfit for some time now and have seen some great gains. However, I am curious about implementing a more "varied" food intake.

Site

(there is a whole section in the forums there about Nutrition, and Paleo comes up often enough)

Thread

Another thread

So, I guess at this point, I keep trying to figure out what exactly it is that you're trying to accomplish with your running and your diet.  Answering that may allow for better, more succinct answers.

I'm basically saying; Hey Paleo has been  working for me great. I just started running yesterday and already PR'd my three mile run after a whole month off do to a crossfit injury. I've been curious though about if I need to add carbs into my diet if I am doing more long endurance typed running. I was hoping to get opinions on a strictly runners website about Paleo (unlike CF where if you aren't paelo then you're wrong) so I can determine if there are any benefits to adding some carbs to my food intake? I think with everyones post I have made my decision. Thanks and God Bless.

The Sweat Science blog has some interesting posts on Paleo:

http://sweatscience.com/paleo-the-pace-of-evolution-and-chronic-stress/

http://sweatscience.com/a-few-thoughts-on-the-paleo-diet/

If I recall, the discussion thread on the latter post gets a bit lively. Personally, I don't know why people get so worked up over this stuff. If it works for you, great, and if not then go do something else. What's to argue about?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

"Some animals are clearly adapted to grain consumption. Birds, rodents, and some insects can deal with the anti-nutrients. Humans, however, cannot. Perhaps if grains represented a significant portion of our ancestral dietary history, things might be a bit different. Some of us can digest dairy, and we’ve got the amylase enzyme present in our saliva to break down starches if need be, but we simply do not have the wiring necessary to mitigate the harmful effects of lectins, gluten, and phytate."

What empiric research supports these assertions?

Humans, my friend, are omnivores.

Scout7

I'm basically saying; Hey Paleo has been  working for me great. I just started running yesterday and already PR'd my three mile run after a whole month off do to a crossfit injury. I've been curious though about if I need to add carbs into my diet if I am doing more long endurance typed running. I was hoping to get opinions on a strictly runners website about Paleo (unlike CF where if you aren't paelo then you're wrong) so I can determine if there are any benefits to adding some carbs to my food intake? I think with everyones post I have made my decision. Thanks and God Bless.

To be honest, unless you're looking at getting heavily into running, and wanting to try to hit your maximal potential, then I wouldn't worry about how much or how little carbs you take in.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up.
                      It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed.
                      Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up.
                      It knows that it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve.
                      It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle
                      when the sun comes up you'd better be running.

BTW, Herb Caen would probably appreciate being cited.

Well, at least his estate would.

Scout7

What empiric research supports these assertions?

Humans, my friend, are omnivores.

They are.  And my primary issue with the marketing is that it talks about what Paleolithic man ate.  How the heck do we really know what Paleolithic man ate?  I mean, there's a reason why we started growing corn and wheat in the first place.

BTW, Herb Caen would probably appreciate being cited.

Well, at least his estate would.

You're an absolute turd man....

I changed it just for you. Now crawl back under the rock you came from.

JimR

You're a turd bro.

Unless there is a punctuation error, you have just called his sibling a turd.

A Saucy Wench

I would say  your biggest challenge will be ditching the CF mindset that every workout is a hammer fest.  Running takes a different kind of discipline to NOT hammer.  And there will be a temptation to try to fix the lack of ability to hammer with carbs.  Frankly, I dont think you will need to add carbs SINCE you are already low carb adjusted until you have built a big enough base to really start fine tuning. 

And take my advice, dont get into a food discussion with Trent.  Trust me on this one.  But also, keep it civil or get the hell out. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

You're an absolute turd man....

I changed it just for you. Now crawl back under the rock you came from.

Yah, I have my moments.