My first hardware (Read 837 times)

jeffdonahue

Ran my first race of the year this weekend. My runs havent been feeling that great this year so I wasnt really expecting much - in fact I was expecting to have gotten a lot slower since last year. The course was really hilly with an out and back piece to start that was up a huge hill. The next 3 miles of it were rolling but mainly down hill with an even larger uphill at the end for the last half mile. I started off quick, staying with the leaders for about half the first hill. Then I held back as they took off in a small group of three runners. As I neared the top two more runners passed me, but I fought the urge to fight them on the hill hoping they were using it up on the hill and would die later on. I turned around and started back down the hill keeping up with one of the guys that just passed me, but being cautious not to open up my stride too much because the street was covered in sand and I could feel my feet slipping a little. I passed my family (who were walking) on the way down and high-fived my daughter and her friend. Meanwhile, another runner zoomed past me which had me a bit worried. When the road flattened out at the bottom I settled into a groove and still kept time with the same runner that was only about 5-10 feet in front of me. We both passed the runner that had flown past us on the downhill. A couple hundred yards late we hit another hill - not nearly as large, but still a bit daunting. I passed the guy I was behind and I think that hill killed him because both he and the other runner starting falling behind. I was concentrating on the four guys in front of me for the next two miles. There was still a group of three in the lead and then a lone runner just about midway between myself and the lead group. But me and that other runner seemed to be keeping the same pace because I just couldnt seem to catch him, but always had him in my sights. We hit the last hill and it was just never-ending. Everytime it crested and you thought that was it, there was another uphill around the next bend. Towards the top it was all i could do to keep from not walking, but I trudged up the last section at a really slow jog and crested teh top. I could see the guy in front of me almost at the finish line so I started down the last small section of downhill. My legs recovered from the climb about halfway to the finish and I opened it up and picked up the pace for a strong finish. Finish time was 25:46. I had been hoping I could go sub-7:00mpm pace and I did. I ran past the finish to my car and started the drive to go pick up my two little ones that were walking - didnt have to go too far. I got them and brought them back to the finish to watch our family finish the walk. I ended up first in my age group and fifth overall. I know it's still not as fast as some people and in other races I might not have placed, but I got a nice trophy for first and I was pretty happy about it the rest of the weekend. Thanks for reading. Jeff
    Purdey

Self anointed title

I had been hoping I could go sub-7:00mpm pace and I did.
      With some to spare! Awesome race - many congratulations!

Nice, Jeff. Congrats!

Runners run

My runs havent been feeling that great this year so I wasnt really expecting much - in fact I was expecting to have gotten a lot slower since last year.
          More race day magic, I loves me some race day magic. Can't ever get enough of that stuff, well done Jeff. Congrats!

E.J.
          Greater Lowell Road Runners
          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Oh Mighty Wing

AWESOME JOB!!!

Prince of Fatness

Finish time was 25:46. I had been hoping I could go sub-7:00mpm pace and I did.
              So you were shooting for sub 28 and ran sub 26? Great job!

Not at it at all. 

nice ... rolling hills ... picking people off ... getting fired up -- awesome!

2012= under-goaled

Certifiably Insane

Don't you LOVE it when a race comes together like that? GREAT job, man! Cool I hope you have lots more of those this year!
                  On the road since 1978! "To be good is not enough when you dream of being great." I am not obsessed! I'm just INTENSE! "Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool." Why? Because race results stay on Google forever! (Reasonably recent) PR's: 5K - 16:40 10K - 35:04 HM - 1:18:30
                    Forgot to mention on my original post, it's just awesome that it was a family affair. Makes it that much sweeter, doesn't get any better than that.

E.J.
                    Greater Lowell Road Runners
                    Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

You Are Beautiful.

Congrats!

My Storygraph

It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop. Confucius
                      Be patient and tough, some day this pain will be useful to you. Ovid

You'll learn to let things go.