Numb feet? (Read 635 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

So I ran into that weird numb foot problem (seems to radiate from the ball of my foot) during my HM, today. I have only really had this once before, and it was during my 10 mile race 6 weeks ago--only happens during longer races, not longer training runs. I had no calf or shin pain this time, just the weird numb foot. First my right, then my left started a mile or so later, then the numbness totally disappeared for the remainder of the race. What would cause this? I thought maybe it was a chronic compartment sydrome issue (since I have had severely tight and painful calves in the past), but now I don't know that that's the issue at all. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Hello, Doctor, this is Kirsten, I need to make an appointment... Big grin But this coming from the "pain is just weakness leaving the body, doctors are for sissy's" person...
      So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Shaddap! Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

Elly

Hi I have been having this problem frequently over the last few months, especially since I increased my mileage. I thought it was the new shoes. However, I went and got a new pair of trail shoes recently and had a biomechanical analysis etc and I was running fine (according to the computer). It was then suggested that I might have compartment syndrome. So, I rang a guy who deals with sports injuries who knew exactly what I was talking about. I'm off to see him on Friday, so I'll keep you posted on what he reckons... Eleanor The Update: (In my case) Muscular tension in upper calf, which leads to inflammation and circulation problems. Fix: several deep tissue sports massages and a couple of weeks off running Cry
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, Elly, that's rotten. I still keep having this from time to time. Seems to be an issue mostly during races when I'm running my tail off and/or if I'm not getting enough rest. Luckily it doesn't happen too often, though this has been a difficult month for me in terms of stress, poor diet, too much time in the car, and sleeping in a bed other than my own. I just had this happen yesterday, as a matter of fact, and ended up walking as much as I ran for an hour. If I continue to have issues with the numb feet as much after life has settled down to a "normal" state, then I will also be having a doctor assess the problem. It's a really annoying occurrance, at the very least. I hope you can resolve your own issues. k

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

Hello, Doctor, this is Kirsten, I need to make an appointment... Big grin But this coming from the "pain is just weakness leaving the body, doctors are for sissy's" person...
              Tight lipped

Roads were made for journeys...