First 6 miles (Read 161 times)

dirtroadrunner

And I got up at 5 am to get it done. I am not a before 6:30 girl. But we are possibly getting hit with a blizzard today so it was get it done or Face the dreadmill. I know most of you don't have to use a gel on 6 but I did and it sure made a difference!

robinde

Good job!  I hate getting up early to get in my runs too.  More power to you.

Congrats! That's a big accomplishment, and smartly planned to avoid the treadmill, even if you did have to get up early.

My take on gels--they exist for a reason: quick energy when needed. "When needed" varies so much that it's virtually useless paying attention to what other people do. It helped you today, so it did exactly what it was made for.

dirtroadrunner

Congrats! That's a big accomplishment, and smartly planned to avoid the treadmill, even if you did have to get up early.

My take on gels--they exist for a reason: quick energy when needed. "When needed" varies so much that it's virtually useless paying attention to what other people do. It helped you today, so it did exactly what it was made for.

Thanks to you both. On the gels I wonder if I need them because I'm still working on losing weight. I've lost 65 # and have 20 or so left. So I have a daily calorie deficit of 800 at least. And towards that 5th mile I'm a bit out of gas. So thought this morning would be a great time to try it out. And I avoid the treadmill at all costs. especially an hour on it!

Thanks to you both. On the gels I wonder if I need them because I'm still working on losing weight. I've lost 65 # and have 20 or so left. So I have a daily calorie deficit of 800 at least. And towards that 5th mile I'm a bit out of gas. So thought this morning would be a great time to try it out. And I avoid the treadmill at all costs. especially an hour on it!

Oh, yeah. With a calorie deficit, it's probably hard to keep your glycogen tanked up. It's similar for me. This fall, I was doing my long run of 8 miles with no gels needed. A few weeks ago, I just died the last few miles on my long run. The difference? I'm at a calorie deficit now, trying to lose about 15 pounds. I wasn't certain if it was the deficit, the fact that I got out the door later than usual (and so longer after eating breakfast than usual), or a combination of both, so since then I've been bringing a gel along just in case. And trying to eat closer to when I go out.

You're obviously doing things right since you've lost so much weight--well done! But as your long runs increase and overall mileage goes up, consider going to a smaller deficit. Shorting yourself 500 calories instead of 800 will still have you losing a pound a week, and will give you that much more fuel for your runs. Best of luck with it!

dirtroadrunner

Thanks! I will do that!

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Calorie deficit and running typically don't mix very well ... so, you may well need to look at upping calories in overall daily eating.

That said, gels for running are NOT the best way to handle that increase - having virtually no nutritional value.

For 6 miles - regardless of pace - you should not need carbs. You should A) have enough glycogen stored to cover this expenditure [even if you are running all out] and B) be training at such an effort level that you are well in your aerobic / fat-burning zone [not sugar] - even if this means that it takes you 2 hours to go the distance.

Liz

pace sera, sera

And I got up at 5 am to get it done. I am not a before 6:30 girl. But we are possibly getting hit with a blizzard today so it was get it done or Face the dreadmill. I know most of you don't have to use a gel on 6 but I did and it sure made a difference!

Proud of you!!  Not an early morning exercise person myself although I do get up early.  In northern MN so we are still dealing with winter here but lately temps have been ABOVE ZERO which makes a huge difference in my running schedule.  I have a love/hate relationship with the treadmill and only try to run on it at the local health club when I know it's gonna be a blizzard or it's interval day.  I prefer trail running so I can't wait for nicer days and warmer temps so I can run outside for my long runs.  Today, it was a balmy 18 degrees and ran 6.15 miles, slow easy, short and sweet as I ran a HM a week ago while feeling sick and crappy, congested.  Feeling so much better and hope for days like today so I can pile on some mileage for my next marathon in May.  Gels?  I use them (hammer gel) when i remember to take them, and usually just half of it for a HM.  But I have started to take them along with dried apricots, gatorade and water on my long runs of 10+ miles.  But I try to eat well before my long runs, and take what I think I may need especially trail running when there is really no other place to get water, food, etc..... gotta be prepared.  Again, that takes discipline to run early when your body rather snooze!!  WAY TO GO!!