Do Pedometers work? (Read 2294 times)

vicentefrijole

It does lose the signal in a tunnel. However, it keeps recording as if you were going in a straight line and at the last pace you were running. Once out of the tunnel, when it recaptures the signal, it goes back to 'real-time' data.
    Right. Pron8r is absolutley correct. So going through a tunnel isn't a problem, really. Sorry I wasn't clear. Big grin
    vicentefrijole

Then again, my GPS monitor is pretty useless with pace, too. For pace, nothing works better for me than knowing the mile markers and glancing at my watch. I'm so old skool.
      My experience also... the real-time pace measurement on the Garmin FR305 seems to swing around a bit and isn't ever right on, I think. It's reliable enough for me to glance at it to make sure I'm in the right ballpark, but I still use my mile splits to gauge my pace. Actually, I've been surprised that, since I got it, I don't use my 305 on every run... I thought we would be inseparable! Wink But the lakefront running path in Chicago has miles and miles of really excellent distance markers (every 1/2 mile!) and there aren't that many runs in which I need all the heartrate, pace, elevation data that the 305 provides. I definitely still use it on speed workouts and some of my long runs, but when it comes to an everyday type of run, it's much easier to just grab my stopwatch and run out the door. That said, it comes in really handy during tempo runs and interval workouts, particularly when running on unmarked trails. Also, it's handy to have when traveling or running on new courses (keeps me from running too far when I'm out exploring). Of course you can do this with mapping tools before or after the fact, but I enjoy the real-time data when I'm out exploring.
        No I don't turn off the sensor; it would be a pain to pull it out of the sole of the shoe.
        Yeah, I didn't think about that! I was actually kidding anyway! If I had it strapped to my laces, though, I might do it. I just got an LL Bean catalouge today with a Garmin 201 in it for $99. I haven't researched or price shopped, but thought maybe I'd just order the thing and test it out myself. I know the older models probably aren't as sensitive, but worst thing I figure is I could send it back! We'll see how it goes! I keep telling myself I'm just beginning and it doesn't matter, but then the analyzer in me says yes it does! Smile
          That said, it comes in really handy during tempo runs and interval workouts, particularly when running on unmarked trails. Also, it's handy to have when traveling or running on new courses (keeps me from running too far when I'm out exploring). Of course you can do this with mapping tools before or after the fact, but I enjoy the real-time data when I'm out exploring.
          At the risk of sounding ignorant (not the first time and I'm sure not the last...), can you actually map trails? How do I do this?
            Hi, you can map trails in this site, under tools. I had been mapping my runs and recently added the velocity meter to my Heart rate monitor and it is very accurate. Here is the model I use by the most popular brand of heart rate monitors: Polar http://www.polar.fi/polar/channels/eng/segments/Running/RS200sd.html
            Will be weightlifting and running to get into the best shape I can before turning 40. Here are my progress pictures: http://tinyurl.com/584qwt