Cutting the cord (wireless headphones with TV) (Read 825 times)

Feeling the growl again

I'm not the most gadget-savvy individual, so if this concept is old news, move on.  Smile

With young kids I need to do a lot of treadmill running, and I want to start doing it in the morning before work more frequently.  But with the layout of my house this is problematic as if I turn up the TV in front of the treadmill (a necessity!!), I would wake up the kids.  

Fortunately, I found a solution.

I had looked at different wireless headphone technologies (I HATE the cords when running) but all the small, light earbuds were Bluetooth.  However, I learned that they make very reasonably priced little Bluetooth transmitters you can simply plug into your TV.  This was the "ah-hah" for me, I had never realized they made these.

This is not an ad for a particular product, I wanted to make sure others were simply aware of this concept.   I ordered this transmitter and this earbud but there are multiple other options out there for both.  Setup took just a few minutes once I figured out the blinking lights I needed to get flashing correctly.  Big grin   I've used this on 4-5 runs so far and I could not be happier.  It is a lot easier for me to hear dialogue than when I was blasting the TV, and I'm told the noise in the house is reduced by ~2/3.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Thanks to your earlier post on wireless earphones, I'm looking at getting a set of of the blurtooth earbuds you linked and using them while biking on the trainer to watch Netflix or DVD's. Just hope they last with all the sweating I do.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Feeling the growl again

Just hope they last with all the sweating I do.

That's my only fear.  Some of the ones rated higher for running had bad reviews about breaking in ~6 months, likely due to sweat.  So I passed on those.  Also watch for reviews on bad reception/connectivity.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Hmm, might pick these up for when I got see in-laws in Croatia; they always keep the volume very low, and talk over all the American movies because they're all reading the subtitles.

I end up being the only one who doesn't know what's going on in my own language.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Feeling the growl again

Hmm, might pick these up for when I got see in-laws in Croatia; they always keep the volume very low, and talk over all the American movies because they're all reading the subtitles.

I end up being the only one who doesn't know what's going on in my own language.

If you are watching while the TV speakers are actually being used, make sure you get the 3.5mm headphone jack (female) to RCA jack (male) adapter.  That way you can use the RCA jacks.  Once you plug into the headphone jack of a TV the speakers shut off (at least on mine).

I'm not the most gadget-savvy individual, so if this concept is old news, move on.  Smile

With young kids I need to do a lot of treadmill running, and I want to start doing it in the morning before work more frequently.  But with the layout of my house this is problematic as if I turn up the TV in front of the treadmill (a necessity!!), I would wake up the kids.  

Fortunately, I found a solution.

I had looked at different wireless headphone technologies (I HATE the cords when running) but all the small, light earbuds were Bluetooth.  However, I learned that they make very reasonably priced little Bluetooth transmitters you can simply plug into your TV.  This was the "ah-hah" for me, I had never realized they made these.

This is not an ad for a particular product, I wanted to make sure others were simply aware of this concept.   I ordered this transmitter and this earbud but there are multiple other options out there for both.  Setup took just a few minutes once I figured out the blinking lights I needed to get flashing correctly.  Big grin   I've used this on 4-5 runs so far and I could not be happier.  It is a lot easier for me to hear dialogue than when I was blasting the TV, and I'm told the noise in the house is reduced by ~2/3.

how they working out?

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

A Saucy Wench

dh uses them for watching TV after the rest of the house is asleep.  But not a sweat issue as he is sitting on the couch.  He got some higher quality sound ones though.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Feeling the growl again

how they working out?

Well I just got back from a week abroad, but the week I used them before I left was great.  My wife uses them to, she also likes it a lot better than blasting the TV.  I no longer have to turn the TV way up downstairs when she is running upstairs.  

So far, no problems at all and no downside to report.

lagwagon

I encountered the same problem last year when I bought a treadmill.  I came up with an old-school solution which works great and never needs charging:

35 ft extension cable

Add the price for a few clips and zip ties to hold it tightly in place under the shoe molding and on the treadmill, and the total solution was under 10 bucks.  

And I can choose from any of the dozen or so sport headphones that I have (which of course all suck).

Feeling the growl again

I encountered the same problem last year when I bought a treadmill.  I came up with an old-school solution which works great and never needs charging:

35 ft extension cable

Add the price for a few clips and zip ties to hold it tightly in place under the shoe molding and on the treadmill, and the total solution was under 10 bucks.  

And I can choose from any of the dozen or so sport headphones that I have (which of course all suck).

I thought of something like that, and it certainly is cheaper....but I REALLY hate the cord flopping around.

Imminent Catastrophe

I have these, they're RF, not bluetooth. They're OK but still have some noise. How did the bluetooth setup work? How's the range and wound quality?

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Feeling the growl again

I have these, they're RF, not bluetooth. They're OK but still have some noise. How did the bluetooth setup work? How's the range and wound quality?

I started by ordering those, but due to size/weight went the bluetooth route...also a lot cheaper.

Range is fine...transmitter is ~8ft from the treadmill.  I've walked downstairs with the earbuds in though and never cut out.

However, as of today, I cannot recommend these particular earbuds.  Apparently due to the sweat the power button already went bad; after tonight's run they are now useless it seems.

So, back in the market for ones more designed for sweat.  I knew these were not going in, but had better features than the "running" ones (battery life, range) so I took a risk.  I lost.