RA Movie Thread (Read 5918 times)

madness baby

No one has mentioned that one about the chick named Debbie, and her trip to...I think it was Dallas. It's been a while.
    Umm, yeah, that's a great one when that's your name and you went to a school that started with a D. Yeah, just swell. Wink Don't watch Monsoon Wedding, guys. Totally cheesy and terrible acting.
    deb
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Don't look into it unless you really mean that, K! Because conflict-free diamonds (socially responsible diamonds, ethical diamonds, whatever) are priced considerably higher than what you find in the normal market, and you have to search for it. Meaning, nearly all the diamonds you see are not conflict-free. Unfortunately. Sad And neither is mine. Maybe one day.
      I guess the pricing thing isn't too surprising, unfortunately. How did you find the origins of yours? I think we have a "map" of my ring's inclusions, but I don't know what other sort of ID might be associated with it. It was purchased almost 12 years ago, so I wonder if we could even track it at this point.... That movie brought so many feelings of guilt. How can I go out of my way and pay more for "cruelty-free" cosmetics and toiletries while wearing a hunk of carbon on my hand that might have cost someone their family...? Andrea, I had heard a while back about the Canadian diamonds. That would definitely be something worth looking into. Plus, I love Canada--I'd happily support a humane Canadian industry like that.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

shyrunner07

[threadjack] k, this is the company that my friend's engagement bling came from...http://www.canadia.com/latest/index.htm...and this is a pic of the famed maple leaf that is engraved into her stone, along with its identifying number.... I'm not much for diamonds myself (give me a pretty blue sapphire anyday!), but from what i've been reading, i think from now on, if i do acquire another one, it will come from canada...[/tj] on a related movie note...the Last King of Scotland comes out this week- it's in my Blockbuster queue, looking forward to seeing it. I've heard Forest Whitaker gives an amazing performance...and then The Queen comes out next week.

madness baby

I guess the pricing thing isn't too surprising, unfortunately. How did you find the origins of yours?
          I don't know where it's from, I just know my husband really wanted to get a diamond that was conflict free, so he specifically sought it out and since we're both in grad school it wasn't possible. Sadly, it's just an assumption I have to make. My understanding of it is that you'd have to seek it out to be sure it was absolutely okay. Other than that I don't know much about it!
          deb
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I don't know where it's from, I just know my husband really wanted to get a diamond that was conflict free, so he specifically sought it out and since we're both in grad school it wasn't possible. Sadly, it's just an assumption I have to make. My understanding of it is that you'd have to seek it out to be sure it was absolutely okay. Other than that I don't know much about it!
            Looks like *only* 15% are conflict diamonds. So hopefully that means mine isn't...I just wish I had a way of knowing. Like Andrea, I'm not even all that enamored with diamonds. I'd happily choose something more unique if selling my diamond helped ease my conscience. Andrea, that website is a great resource. I will definitely recommend that to anyone I know getting engaged.

~ Sarah Kay

madness baby

I'm more talking about socially-responsible diamonds in general rather than specifically "blood diamonds". There are very few monitoring sources that ensure that a diamond was mined in a way that did not do any harm to a human, and that's what can be expensive. But that's true for most consumer goods I guess. Anyway, back to movies!
              deb
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Anyone else wanna see "Hot Fuzz?" I LOVED "Shaun of the Dead." So far HF is getting great reviews, too! Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

Imminent Catastrophe

Right now I'm watching "Apollo 13". This is how movies should be made.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

That is one of my favorite movies! I saw "Fracture" yesterday - it was pretty good - more of a "how are they going to catch him" versus "who done it" - it was entertaining. I though Ryan Gosling did a good job in his first "starring" role - I remember him as one of the kids from "Remember the Titans" - another should be classic.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                    Thyroid Support Group

shyrunner07

weird musing du jour....any ever notice that nearly every single movie Tom Hanks is in, comes out with a kick ass soundtrack? Not that i mind or anything...Smile
                      shyrunner07

rented a handful of flicks for the weekend....hannah and i are watching Charlotte's Web right now. Such a sweet little movie- and julia roberts has a wonderful storytelling voice...Smile
                        shyrunner07

just finished up The Queen...wasn't too bad (lagged a bit here and there). Helen Mirren really did a wonderful job becoming QE. Didn't care much for the actor who was Prince Charles- it was a poor imitation, much like you'd see on a sketch show. James Cromwell lost his sweet sensitive Babe side to become Prince Phillip, which he also did well.... i liked that they blended actual archived footage in with the movie...and that they didn't cast someone to play Diana- that would have been a big mistake...no one could really touch that woman.
                          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

James Cromwell lost his sweet sensitive Babe side to become Prince Phillip
                            If I had words...to make a day for you.... Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

shyrunner07

If I had words...to make a day for you.... Big grin k
                              ::heart::
                                [threadjack] k, this is the company that my friend's engagement bling came from...http://www.canadia.com/latest/index.htm...and this is a pic of the famed maple leaf that is engraved into her stone, along with its identifying number.... I'm not much for diamonds myself (give me a pretty blue sapphire anyday!), but from what i've been reading, i think from now on, if i do acquire another one, it will come from canada...[/tj] on a related movie note...the Last King of Scotland comes out this week- it's in my Blockbuster queue, looking forward to seeing it. I've heard Forest Whitaker gives an amazing performance...and then The Queen comes out next week.
                                You should checkout Thai sapphires. They have Black Star Sapphires and Blue ones. In 1974 while stationed in Northern Thailand (Udorn Royal Thai AFB) I bought a 6.5 carat Black Star Sapphire and had it mounted in 14k gold for my mom for Christmas. She needed it resized as I had the ring made to big (cheaper to cut it down than to add) Anyway it was worth $750+ in 1975 here. In Thailand I paid 126 Bhat or $63 USD http://mineralminers.com/html/sbkgems.stm

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire