Something I learned about my Garmie. (Read 1016 times)

When I run in Baltimore, it takes about 3-5 minutes for my 205 to find the satellites. This invovles me standing on my corner holding it still and looking like a doofus. When we were in the OBX, it took 3-5 SECONDS - max! - for Garmie to find a signal -- even inside. Guess that's what having no tall buildings does, huh??
    2009: BQ?
      Not always Sad I live in the middle of nowhere (ok a "house farm" ) and it STILL can take a good 5 minutes to get signal and that's standing outside! Drives me nuts when that happens!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Not always Sad I live in the middle of nowhere (ok a "house farm" ) and it STILL can take a good 5 minutes to get signal and that's standing outside! Drives me nuts when that happens!
        There must have to be a happy medium, then! Undecided Enough satellites but not "in the middle of nowhere." I guess the OBX was that happy medium! It was so weird, Pam --- I'd turn it on and POOF! Ready to go!
          There must have to be a happy medium, then! Undecided Enough satellites but not "in the middle of nowhere." I guess the OBX was that happy medium! It was so weird, Pam --- I'd turn it on and POOF! Ready to go!
          That happens SOMETIMES,but not enough. I've gotten used to turning it on, laying it in the big window in the stairway before going and getting ready.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Go Green Wave!

It sometimes takes me as much as 5 minutes, I just use it as time to stretch. Maybe if I stand still it wouldn't take as long, but then I would look like a "doofus" like trishierunner Smile
            btb1490

Have all of you 205/305 owners installed the latest software for your watches? One of the improvements has been faster satellite connection.
              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

DON'T HOLD IT. Put it on the ground or on something high. Holding on to it, weirdly, magically, strangely, makes it take longer to acquire. When you don't hold it, bingo!
                  3-5 minutes? Thats a lot. Mine normally takes 30-45 seconds but strangely, mine found satellites faster down there than here in the 'burbs of Boston too. Maybe in about half the time, say 15-20 seconds. But then when I got back home...magically it found them INSTANTLY. I'm not talking 3-5 seconds, I'm talking like less than 1 second. I rebooted it like 5 times to make sure it was working. It was. Worked like that for the first couple runs post North Carolina. Then? Back to normal. Takes like 30-45 seconds again. And I leave it on the roof of the car to let it boot up. I have the latest fw and software. Weird things, these Garmies.

Runners run

Mine normally takes 30-45 seconds
                    Same here. Inside or out. It will occasionally take a minute or three when there is a LOT of cloud cover / storm clouds around.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

DON'T HOLD IT. Put it on the ground or on something high. Holding on to it, weirdly, magically, strangely, makes it take longer to acquire. When you don't hold it, bingo!
                      Yeah, but if I put it on the ground in Baltimore, it will be stolen in a hot second Tongue
                        I've taken to walking outside barefoot, sitting down on the front steps, turning on the 305 and putting it next to me, then putting my shoes and socks on. Most of the time, that's enough time to get it going.
                          If I am in an area where I know it takes long for my Garmin to find satellites I either put it outside or on the window before I start putting my running clothes on. By the time I tie my shoes Garmin is ready for me.
                          I would rather wear out than rust out. - Helen Klein You create your own universe as you go along. - Winston Churchill

Looking gooooood ;p

I have a humble 101 Sad and before I went to Salt Lake it would only take seconds to locate and lock here in Reading (UK). Since I came back it takes at least five minutes every time - wierd.... ...I tend to use this extended lock on time as an opportunity to do proper stretches Wink
                            The best route to run is one which takes you furthest from the staff canteen....